SGU STUDENTS: please post lowest MCAT score w/ which U were accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pursuing MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you please post the MCAT scores with which you were aaccepted into SGU medical school?...the lower the score the better!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about SGU, but I know folks who got accepted at Ross with lower MCATs ex VR-3, BS-7, and PS-7 other with 4, 6, 6.

Well, I personally don't know of any such people at Ross. Ross only started requiring MCAT scores with my entering class. But, who knows? Such people may have gotten an admission. Nonetheless, I don't think such people would last very long even if they got an acceptance here. The name of the game in the Caribbean isn't getting in, anyway. It's staying in.

My MCAT scores were VR-11, BS-9, PS-8, by the way. Ross requires MCAT scores for statistical purposes only, and they are not as big of a factor in admission as is your undergrad pre-med course grades.

I have a friend at SGU who scored similarly if not a little bit lower (7's and 8's) on the MCAT, but she had stellar undergrad grades and had her MS. She still could not get an acceptance to a school in her home state, though (Massachussetts). She loves SGU, by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
The chief of surgery at the hospital I work for is a graduate of St. George's. He says that he loved it there, and actually owns a house there now.

my dermatologist got a 3 on the physical science portion, went to SGU, and then transferred to UM and graduated from there

he may have been exaggerating, and although he's a pretty young doc, it was still a while ago

dr. foxy,
this guy landed a derm residency from SGU? thats incredible.

i have a masters degree in bio and a 27 on the most recent MCAT. if you take my highest scores from both tests i took, i have a 30 (thats how SGU scores it). and they put me on the waitlist for august...go figure...maybe cuz i applied late. but im in january unless i get called up.

SGU is supposed to be the next best thing for those that didnt make it to a US school.

just apply and see how it goes.
apparently a lot of borderline people apply there as a backup, so its more desired than other foreign med schools.

-d

Hello all,

I am the one who started this thread. I submitted my application for SGU and all of the necessary info./documents by about 10 days ago, and decided to move my application for JANUARY 2003 admissions. I have yet to hear from SGU about anything (not even an interview), although they told me that they are still looking over August applicants.

AM I SCREWED since I have not heard anything yet? Any suggestions? I have applied to 2 podiatry schools and I am afraid that these podiatry schools will begin their CLASSES before I hear anything from SGU about me being accepted.

Hey there Pursuing MD

Dont worry bro you are not screwed. I'm sure you'll do fine. I actually will be attending SGU (if i dont get into this one other US school which i'm still waiting on). Although scores are looked at rather critically I think they take into account a lot of other factors---EC, grades, etc.

If you want to know how I did on my MCATs just PM me.

Also.... here's a great link, its the unofficial SGU forum, its freaking awesome
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/10067

so go check that out too. I know how you are feeling right now, I had applied for the aug 02 class way back in december. I was interviewed in may, I got in I think in june. So its a long process and from what i've read and researched its the next best thing to a US school. But hey dont classify yourself as 'next best thing' cuz then you'll always feel like you have a chip on your shoulder. so just apply and go in with the mentality that your gonna be a great doc wherever you go. Like Dr. foxy said, her Dermatologist went to SGU (granted going to the carib and attaining such a residency is next to impossible, but it does happen), so be optimistic!

peace

Molybdenum,
I didnt apply to DO schools. i guess im superficial, but its just not for me.

Im thinking of applying to some crappy american schools to see if i can get anything last minute if i go jan at SGU.

why do you ask?

kitty juice,
you're applying to sgu before you've applied to u.s. schools?

lola,
i applied to 3 US schools and was rejected, but kinda applied late, i dunno how much of a factor it was.
i was thinking of applying again as a last minute thing just for the hell of it. and definately applying to more schools.

am i crazy? maybe....but with a 2.8 undergrad GPA, its hard to state your case.

oh, ok. just seemed a bit strange you were applyin to carib schools without giving u.s. schools your best shot. i wouldn't say you were crazy. it's definitely not the way i'd do things, but if you don't mind going to sgu, then it's fine.

lola,
dont get me wrong, id love to stay in US soil, but with a 2.8 undergrad, 8,8,10 and a 6,12,9 on the mcat, its not much i can do. i have a masters, but adcoms dont give a damn about a masters. so i gotta go with my next best option.