SGU to Drexel transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadyhtown

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm currently a first year med student in St George's Univ. in Grenada. Thinking of transferring to Drexel for my 2nd year. I have a great GPA at SGU and a 30+ MCAT score, so I figure my chances are decent.

But I'm fairly happy at SGU, and doing pretty well here so far. Got a cushy RA job for the first 2 years. Also, I get a few grants which makes SGU's tuition about 10K a year cheaper than Drexel. Plus, I'm concerned that Drexel's curriculum might be tougher.

The only reason I'm considering transferring is because Drexel is a US med school. But I know SGU has a good name in US circles too. And in any case, I'll be back in the US (most probably NYC) for my 3rd and 4th year clinicals.

So what I want to ask is, is it worth the hassle to transfer to Drexel just for the US MD over IMG? Would it help me very much? Or should I just stick to SGU? Also, which is better - clinicals in NYC or Philly?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The match is getting much much more competitive, and that means that less spots for even well known schools like SGU. I would save the headache and come Stateside.

Apply. If you get into Drexel, go there. If you are looking for any residency besides Family Med or Psychiatry, you will face tough competition being an IMG. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I'm currently a first year med student in St George's Univ. in Grenada. Thinking of transferring to Drexel for my 2nd year. I have a great GPA at SGU and a 30+ MCAT score, so I figure my chances are decent.

But I'm fairly happy at SGU, and doing pretty well here so far. Got a cushy RA job for the first 2 years. Also, I get a few grants which makes SGU's tuition about 10K a year cheaper than Drexel. Plus, I'm concerned that Drexel's curriculum might be tougher.

The only reason I'm considering transferring is because Drexel is a US med school. But I know SGU has a good name in US circles too. And in any case, I'll be back in the US (most probably NYC) for my 3rd and 4th year clinicals.

So what I want to ask is, is it worth the hassle to transfer to Drexel just for the US MD over IMG? Would it help me very much? Or should I just stick to SGU? Also, which is better - clinicals in NYC or Philly?

Maybe this kinda mindset is what got you in your situation in the first place . . .

There's one thing that Drexel has that SGU covets: LCME approval. Don't underestimate the importance of it.

I didn't know drexel was so open to taking carribbean students on.

Thanks guys. I've decided to go ahead and apply. I'll worry about the logistics if I get accepted. Yep, I know it's a long shot.

I didn't know drexel was so open to taking carribbean students on.

I think its been done. http://rumorsweretrue.wordpress.com/

Then again, a couple people won the powerball lottery last year too. They probably had better odds, though.

I think that blog is misleading. Drexel is among 8-10 schools that will accepted Caribbean students for transfer, but that's IF there are spots, IF you have fantastic stats, and IF they happen to like you better than all the other applicants vying for that one little spot.

I agree, it's a lot like winning the lottery.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's just that they have done it a couple of times for unique individuals and so now have been tagged with the international reputation for this. :laugh:

They take transfers every year.

I can't imagine getting into Drexel would be that impossible, how many people are transferring there? Even if there were 100 foreign med applicants to 2 or 3 spots, that's not much different that the acceptance rates going into med school to begin with. Though I imagine far fewer apply. But you know who would know...

P.S.: http://services.aamc.org/tsp_reports/ might be helpful in researching various policies including Drexel. "Search By Policy" --> Check "Individuals from Foreign Med schools" and "Foreign Med Schools listed in the WHO."

I can't imagine getting into Drexel would be that impossible, how many people are transferring there? Even if there were 100 foreign med applicants to 2 or 3 spots, that's not much different that the acceptance rates going into med school to begin with. Though I imagine far fewer apply. But you know who would know...

P.S.: http://services.aamc.org/tsp_reports/ might be helpful in researching various policies including Drexel. "Search By Policy" --> Check "Individuals from Foreign Med schools" and "Foreign Med Schools listed in the WHO."

I'm not sure it's realistic to say that two or three spots are opening up each year.

Hey, check out my blog:
caribbeantransfer.blogspot.com

Medical school curriculum is standard. Its the same everywhere, just the order and delivery varies. But, yes some schools have extra hoops that you have to jump through... research, thesis... stuff like that. And some schools require certain clinical rotations... but thats not a big deal.

Medical school curriculum is standard.

Well, LCME-accredited medical school curriculum is standard. Moving from carib to stateside might differ. Emphasis on the "might," as I really don't know.

Well, LCME-accredited medical school curriculum is standard. Moving from carib to stateside might differ. Emphasis on the "might," as I really don't know.

I transferred from the caribbean to an lcme accredited school for my MS3 year. I did some clerkships as a caribbean third year medical student so I can compare.

The education isn't that much different. I can tell you this objectively based on my student narratives, what attendings have said, clerkship grades, step 1 score, shelf scores, interactions with other MS3 students, etc. When I was starting my MS3 year at an LCME school, I was very worried that I wouldn't have the same knowledge base compared to the other students who had their basic sciences stateside. I quickly learned that this was not the case.

Caribbean students use the same books- much of medical school is about self-directed learning; since we use the same resources, two students with equal work ethic and equal intelligence will have the same amount of information coming out of an LCME school and a carib school. The LCME student will have more access to information, but it is better to stick with some solid resources during the preclinical years.

Some differences:
The shelf exams blew my mind. I did very well on them, but I wasn't anticipating such a difficult exam. The MS3 caribbean exams were not as difficult.

US schools really care about making sure you get a positive learning experience during your clerkships. They make sure you get the lectures, take the call, etc... In the carib schools, it felt like you were on your own.

A lot of time is spent (wasted?) teaching ethics and doing mock patient interviews. I never wrote a paper in the carib...I am asked to write papers about how I feel on a regular basis in the US system. 'Describe an ethical situation and how it made you feel'. These are oftentimes assigned and due right before the shelf.

When I was a carib student, some of the attendings were disrespectful in the beginning bc of where I went to school. This quickly changed when I worked with them. As a US allo student, I don't have to start by proving myself.

US students get a lot further with their complaints-when they say something, things get done. As a carib student, there wasn't much complaining....we were lucky to be where we were.

There is a lot more evaluating and feedback at US schools.

Some of the negative things US students said about DO students/carib students/PAs/Nurses behind their back caught me off guard. I have heard other students laugh at other students because they were DOs or from the caribbean and 'couldn't get into a US school'.

There are a lot more gunners at US schools. Ie 'I don't know where student xyz went, but I saw him get in the car right after rounds and head towards home....come to think of it, xyz never came back'. There were also MS3s who would round on other MS3s patients and correct them during rounds. We didn't have as many of these in the caribbean.

Residency options are more open from an allo school. When I was in the caribbean, I was worried about getting a residency in ortho/neurosurgery - 'I will go wherever they take me' mentality. At an allo school, I am thinking about where I want to go for residency.

The resources I have at at an allo school are amazing-I can get any journal article I want online. I could not believe the amount of resources I had available to me. As a carib student, all I had was google and a couple of textbooks. The library I used in the caribbean did not have even 10% of what is available at an lcme school.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

It shouldnt... the curriculum is standard per the WHO, not the LCME.... and that applies to the US, Carib, and everywhere else there is a WHO accredited school.... all over the world.

I can't imagine getting into Drexel would be that impossible, how many people are transferring there? Even if there were 100 foreign med applicants to 2 or 3 spots, that's not much different that the acceptance rates going into med school to begin with. Though I imagine far fewer apply. But you know who would know......

It probably isn't 2-3 spots each year. It's probably 0-2 spots each year. And it only takes 0-2 US allo transferees wanting the spot to make it impossible for the 100 foreign med applicants to get one.

It shouldnt... the curriculum is standard per the WHO, not the LCME.... and that applies to the US, Carib, and everywhere else there is a WHO accredited school.... all over the world.

Definitely not true.

Then, whats the point of WHO, FAIMER, and IMED?

To the US there is no point, which is why the LCME administers their own set of rules for foks in US allo schools. There are plenty of international "standards" that don't get adopted here. This is part of the hurdle FMGs face-- the schools they attended are not accredited with the only accreditation that matters here.

I think that blog is misleading. Drexel is among 8-10 schools that will accepted Caribbean students for transfer, but that's IF there are spots, IF you have fantastic stats, and IF they happen to like you better than all the other applicants vying for that one little spot.

I agree, it's a lot like winning the lottery.

Does your undergrad matter?

Why is Drexel not that competitive of a school

Does your undergrad matter?

Absolutely, undergrad GPA, and MCAT matters.

Think of it this way... Every year hundreds of perfectly qualified applicants are rejected from US medical schools, randomly, because there aren't enough seats. Med schools want to keep the students that they accept. But if they end up with vacant seats, some US med schools will accept transfers. Drexel, and a handful of others are willing to entertain the applications from students who would have gotten into a US school had there been room, and made the mistake of going to a Carib school.

Many of the responses in this thread are filled with misinformation and speculation. I see lots of narratives being used to craft plausible explanations...but they are not rooted in experience or information so you should take them with a grain of salt.

Law2doc, Drexel accepts 2nd year transfers based on the number of students whom for whatever reason are not continuing to third year. It is clearly not a difficulty with filling their first year class with qualified applicants as they have an average attrition rate and the same average GPA/MCAT as other schools(3.57, 31). The purpose of a waitlist is to avoid not having a full class. For financial reasons and performance statistics it makes perfect sense to accept transfers from non-LCME schools that have above average scores. The majority that I know who have made the jump have >3.8 medical school GPAs and >235 step1.

Then, whats the point of WHO, FAIMER, and IMED?

These are listing services, not accreditation services. If you paid a Caribbean government $$$$$ to start a medical school, you can use a letter from the government and apply for a listing in those bodies you mentioned above.