SGU vs DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where would you go?

• St. Georges (Carribean)

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • Osteopathic School

Votes: 54 58.7%
  • Wait yet another year...

Votes: 25 27.2%

• Total voters

gozeemer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you do if your only options were St. Georges down in the Carribean or DO school? I havent recieved my MCATS yet, but just wondering...

And everyone, this is not meant to piss anyone off! I just want some opinion on this :)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

this of course hasn't been beaten to death.... if you can't tell I'm being sarcastic- do a search. You'll find a ton of threads on this topic. personally- in terms of prestige and how residencies are handed out (in the bigger picture), US med students get first dibs, whether they are DO or MD. so what's left for the SGU students or any other international med students are what's not taken by them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
2005: http://mwunet.midwestern.edu/academ...atches_2005.pdf

http://sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/home/2005ResidencyAppointmentListBySpecialty.htm

Ok look, I posted the match lists from both CCOM and SGU. CCOM is a very good osteopathic school, ive been considering it for a while. SGU is also known to be one of the better Carribean schools. IT is a tough choice. Thanks for your sarcasm, but some people are torn between which direction to go.

I feel that both schools have excellent match rates and curriculum. Ive visited CCOM (Midwestern) maaany times and have gone to the information sessions for SGU and CCOM. Both schools seem to be appealing to me. Im just not sure which one would be a better option and I just want to hear others opinions on this.

Once again, its not meant to cause to any problems. I just have been debating this for a long long time, and just want some feedback.

Damn! I guess caribe is not as bad as we all thought

It really isnt that bad thats why Im having a hard time with this. SGU and Ross dont seem to be all that bad. The other schools, I have not done my research on so I cant really say. But SGU in comparison to Midwestern, I dont see much of a difference....damn it lol

The more I look at it, I think I would lean toward SGU...for those of you submitting to the poll, can I get some quick feedback into why you would go to SGU or why you would go DO?

I would honestly wait another year, but Ive done a masters in physiology and am doing a masters of public health currently. Im sick of being wait listed :( :( :( :(

Hi there,
There is no way on earth that I would go offshore. In 2005, there is no difference between MD or DO. There is a huge difference between US grad and offshore.
njbmd :)

well, i'd definitely go do over sgu, especially since ccom is the school in question. ccom's been around for over 100 years and is very well-established. it has great facilities and is in a very livable area, and the biggest plus of all is that you do all your clinical rotations in the chicago area. ccom places less emphasis on omm than other osteopathic schools, so even if you're not interested in that, going to ccom wouldn't be a huge hindrance. also, the thing to think about when comparing ccom and sgu lists is that pretty much everyone who matriculates at ccom graduates and goes on to a residency. my strong hunch is that sgu is going to have more attrition.

if i weren't remotely interested in osteopathic medicine, and i had to choose between sgu and a school like pikeville or wvsom, i might pick sgu. with ccom, though, i think you'd be nuts to go to an offshore school.

exlawgrrl said:
if i weren't remotely interested in osteopathic medicine, and i had to choose between sgu and a school like pikeville or wvsom, i might pick sgu. with ccom, though, i think you'd be nuts to go to an offshore school.

Hi exlawgrrl,

So is pikeville or wvsom considered to be in the lower tier of DO schools?

cosmicstarr said:
Hi exlawgrrl,

So is pikeville or wvsom considered to be in the lower tier of DO schools?

not necessarily. however, both are generally less competitive to get into. the biggest reasons why sgu might be superior to both is that both schools are located in rural areas, and both place a strong emphasis on producing rural primary care doctors. you'll do most of your clinical rotations in smaller areas, whereas with sgu, you'll probably do the rotations in the nyc area. if you want to specialize and if you're not remotely interested in living in a rural area, sgu might be a better fit. also, both schools place a big emphasis on omm, which might be a real drag if you have absolutely no interest in osteopathic medicine.

sorry, i should have clarified my statement more. :) personally, i'd pick either of those schools over sgu, but i can see where a person would reasonably opt to go to sgu instead. however, i can't see why you'd pick sgu over ccom.

Seems like if you want to do FP or IM and perhaps even general surgery, SGU has much better matches.

The people from CCOM matching into competitive residencies (ortho, rad, neurosurg.) are matching into DO residencies. I don't know too much about DO residencies, but i ve heard that they have some major criticisms in many areas.

For me the biggest draw back of carribean, is actually having to live there for 2 years. After the 2 years your back in the US.