SGUSOM - Any transfers to U.S. Schools?

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by snitzle, Jul 25, 2000.

1. snitzle

snitzle Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I would like to hear the stories/advice of any St. George's medical students who have been able to transfer back to U.S. medical schools after year 2. I am particularly interested in hearing from those having transferred to CA schools.

Is transferring back a problem (since SGUSOM is not LCME accredited)? Any information and insight will be greatly appreciated!

2. val999

val999 Junior Member

About 5-10 students transfer every year after finishing 2 years of basic science and passing step 1. they go straight to third year. Has nothing to do with accreditation. Also, you really have to take whatever you can get, demadning a transfer only in a certain state is pushing your luck.

3. snitzle

snitzle Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm confused... don't most U.S. med schools say in their literature that they accept transfer students "from LCME accredited medical schools in the United States and Canada"?

4. Mig2x

Mig2x Member
    10+ Year Member

Well to my knowledge for you to transfer to a US or canada med school which is LCME accredited you have to come from a school already accredited by the LCME, if not you will have to start from year one.