SGUSOM - Any transfers to U.S. Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snitzle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear the stories/advice of any St. George's medical students who have been able to transfer back to U.S. medical schools after year 2. I am particularly interested in hearing from those having transferred to CA schools.

Is transferring back a problem (since SGUSOM is not LCME accredited)? Any information and insight will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

About 5-10 students transfer every year after finishing 2 years of basic science and passing step 1. they go straight to third year. Has nothing to do with accreditation. Also, you really have to take whatever you can get, demadning a transfer only in a certain state is pushing your luck.

Originally posted by val999:
Has nothing to do with accreditation.

I'm confused... don't most U.S. med schools say in their literature that they accept transfer students "from LCME accredited medical schools in the United States and Canada"?

Well to my knowledge for you to transfer to a US or canada med school which is LCME accredited you have to come from a school already accredited by the LCME, if not you will have to start from year one.