shadow DO and letter of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tostra

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!! I have a question, I'm in the process of trying to arrange a meeting with some DO's and hopefully set up a way to shadow at least one of them. My main motivation of course is to observe and learn all that I can about the daily life of an osteopath, but secondly to also make a good enough impression on he/she so as to secure a letter of recommendation. However, I would feel somewhat uncomfortable in asking for a letter of rec. The reason for this uneasiness is because I'm not sure if it's appropriate to ask the DO, if the only contact we have with each other is through a week or so of shadowing. Is this common practice for a physician to be asked for a letter of rec from basically a stranger???
I'm feeling pretty desperate, as you all know a letter from a DO is pretty much mandatory for all schools, and I don't have many options since I don't know any DO's personally. Any advice on how to approach this situation or maybe any testimonials of those who were in similar situations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by tostra (edited 05-17-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. I just finished shadowing a DO that I didn't know before-hand. He was great. He knew what was going on, about wanting a recommendation, and I was rather brutally honest with him about my fear that I was only there for the recommendation. I told him that, yes, I wanted a recommendaiton, but that I also just wanted to work in an office atmosphere instead of the hospital, which I am used to. I had the same fears as you did. My situation was that my husband knew this doc..and this doc happens to be on the admit board....so, I got hooked up with him..and felt like a total loser because I really didn't like the field of medicine. Well, to make a long story short, I had a great time and really learned quite a lot. Keep in mind that the docs have already been thru this and you won't be the last person to shadow to get a recommendation. They also know that if you had to time to shadow for months and months regularly to get to know them really well, you would probably have a JOB within the field somewhere. My advice, if you feel badly about shadowing just to get a recommendation, would be to pic a doc AND a field that you are particularly interested in. This way, your genuine enthusiasm will show through and will be noticed. Most docs I have shadowed are REALLY great. Chances are, you will get to know them alot better than you would expect. I am even in a teaching hospital/medical school situation, and the docs STILL have time to spend with me, even with all the residents, rotational students, and interns. So, if you aren't in this situation, and just have a doc to shadow..he should have plenty of time to get to know you if you make the time for him. Also, alot of docs have residents in their offices, too, that you can get to know. If this is the case with you..you may end up with two recommendations instead of one!!!! Good luck!

tostra-

I can somewhat understand your apprehension about talking with this physician about a LOR (letter of recommendation), eventhough you've only known him (her) a week. But, hey, you are trying to get into medical school. You gotta take the bull by the horns and go for it. The early bird gets the worm. God helps those who help themselves.
Basically, just do it. You can be very assertive and professional while NOT coming across as pushy and rude. Be tactful, ask for the recommendation, and then make sure you can backup whatever the physician writes.

Just do it!!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"

Hey, I recently shadowed a DO for a day and after spending several hours with him I felt comfortable asking him for a recomendation. He happily agreed. This letter is extremely important because he is really close with the dean of the school that I am applying to. The bottom line is that if you were yourself around the physician and were able to convey your intrests in Osteopathic medicine the doctor will be able to see this. Almost all doctors know that one time or another they will be called upon to write letters, afterall one joy of being a professional is being able to be in the position to help young people achieve their goals. Go for it!

[This message has been edited by hippuppy (edited 05-21-2000).]