Shadowed an ortho surgeon today and it was awkward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsianPersuasion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got back from shadowing an ortho surgeon today at his office. He seems to fit the stereotype pretty accurately. Tall, athletic, good looking, smart etc but one thing that he was lacking was personality. I got to the office and the admin took me down to meet him. Let me tell you, he shook my hand, said his hello and that was it..... he didn't talk to me on spare time (we had a lot of time off between patients) initially, I thought maybe he's busy I should just let him be and pretend to be a fly on the wall. I tried to make small talks here and there but he would only give me one word answer.

I'm not mad or upset, it just made the whole experience very awkward for the both of us (especially me).

I didn't get that feeling I got with the trauma surgeon I shadowed. He was inviting, very talkative, funny, generous and just a really cool person to be around. And I thought the trauma surgeon would be grouchy, mean and just miserable but he was total opposite.

I imagined the ortho surgeon to be cool, laid back, talk about sports and energetic etc like the trauma surgeon but he was complete opposite. Total stoic, just uninterested. Makes me feel bad being there. I felt like I was in his way. Of course asking to shadow is like asking them if you can slow them down, but...I don't know....

Should I just look for another ortho?

Members don't see this ad.

Well if you aren't confident/athletic etc. maybe he felt like he couldn't relate to you. Personally, I had a great time shadowing an ortho. Really funny, crazy cocky, but also really nice. We talked about sports, school etc.

Some people are shy... or perhaps he was afraid to affirm the stereotypical attributes that you affix to ortho guys. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Most pre-meds aren't very social, most med students I've met aren't that much better, not holding out high hopes that practicing physicians suddenly become social butterflies

Maybe it's not him. He's there to work and do his job.

You're shadowing him, if you want to know things, ask questions that will yield more than a 1 word answer. Make conversation that is interesting. Don't talk about weather, the price of gas, or Obama. Talk about time off. What he finds time to do when he's not working. Help him open up.

Sounds like you're both shy people, and that doesn't really mix well. Especially when someone is working.

Well if you aren't confident/athletic etc. maybe he felt like he couldn't relate to you. Personally, I had a great time shadowing an ortho. Really funny, crazy cocky, but also really nice. We talked about sports, school etc.

I admit, I'm not the most athletic person or most confident (lacrosse and ultimate frisbee) but I'm not an introvert. Even if I don't like something or don't know much about it, I'll do my best to keep the convo going and focus on you. I tried everything I could think of and he would just give me like 1-3 word answers. And, that just makes me feel weird being there.

I admit, I'm not the most athletic person or most confident (lacrosse and ultimate frisbee) but I'm not an introvert. Even if I don't like something or don't know much about it, I'll do my best to keep the convo going and focus on you. I tried everything I could think of and he would just give me like 1-3 word answers. And, that just makes me feel weird being there.

Then, it might be him like all the other posters say. I dunno, I'm a people person, and all the docs I've shadowed have told me about how I've always been more confident than most of the kids that shadow them. Yeah, try not to ask questions that can be answered in 1-3 words. Stuff like "Why did you choose Ortho?" or "What has been your favorite moment in medicine?" etc.

Maybe it's not him. He's there to work and do his job.

You're shadowing him, if you want to know things, ask questions that will yield more than a 1 word answer. Make conversation that is interesting. Don't talk about weather, the price of gas, or Obama. Talk about time off. What he finds time to do when he's not working. Help him open up.

Sounds like you're both shy people, and that doesn't really mix well. Especially when someone is working.

I would ask him for example how his scheduling is set up between him and his team he would say to me "My time is split between clinic and OR".........:confused: ok..... Than I said how is it divided? he goes "depends" :confused:

Go into med school with an open mind. You'll find great teachers in some fields and some not so great ones. Find something that interests you and go with it. I've met a neurosurgeon who raps while he's doing a crani and jokes around with the whole staff while he's doing it. Seriously one of the most laid back guys I know. I've also met plenty of physicians who don't like to teach you at all and just want to get through the day. Don't let personalities deter you from something you're really interested in.

He seems to fit the stereotype pretty accurately. Tall, athletic, good looking, smart etc but one thing that he was lacking was personality.

If he's good looking, he doesn't need to be talking. Strong silent type. Meow.

Go into med school with an open mind. You'll find great teachers in some fields and some not so great ones. Find something that interests you and go with it. I've met a neurosurgeon who raps while he's doing a crani and jokes around with the whole staff while he's doing it. Seriously one of the most laid back guys I know. I've also met plenty of physicians who don't like to teach you at all and just want to get through the day. Don't let personalities deter you from something you're really interested in.

One thing I notice with me is that, when I'm shadowing a doctor who is sociable, engaging, nice etc I find myself liking that specialty more..as if I can see myself doing it. Like the trauma surgeon for example. Shadowing him and getting to meet all the his team members was awesome.

But after an 8 hr shadow with this ortho surgeon I find myself feeling like ortho is not for me.

Does anybody else feel that way?