Shadowed Dr.... Does it hurt me if I don't get a LOR?

dtepper

10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Just curious if I should get a LOR from the Dr. I shadowed. Also, he is a D.O. and the only Dr. I shadowed so far. So far I only have a committee letter being sent in.. is that not enough? I'm sort of confused about what the norm is for LOR... Any help is greatly appreciated.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It seems like the general consensus is that letters from doctors you've shadowed are fairly useless since they haven't been around you much or seen your ability to perform medicine-related tasks (or any tasks at all, for that matter). I guess some (most? all?) DO schools want a rec letter from a physician and strongly prefer DO's, so you might as well jump through that hoop if you're planning on applying DO.

redlight

Senior Member :D
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
USA
Status
Pre-Medical
Just curious if I should get a LOR from the Dr. I shadowed. Also, he is a D.O. and the only Dr. I shadowed so far. So far I only have a committee letter being sent in.. is that not enough? I'm sort of confused about what the norm is for LOR... Any help is greatly appreciated.
yea im pretty sure all schools will require more than a committee letter lor (typically you need letters from professors in specific fields.. for example a science lor and a humanities lor)

and yea your lor from a doctor you shadowed is probably going to be useless.. all you do is follow the D.O. doc around, right? your lor writer needs to know you well enough to speak of your strengths and why he feels you're a great candidate for medical school.. that means your lor writer has to spend a considerable time around you and he has to have seen you perform in some kind of medicine-related capacity.

engineeredout

10+ Year Member
May 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I thought premed committees consolidated LORs and sent them all out at once. Am I way off?

redlight

Senior Member :D
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
USA
Status
Pre-Medical
I thought premed committees consolidated LORs and sent them all out at once. Am I way off?
it'll oviously differ from school to school, but i think the committee summarizes the best points of several lors from professors (or whoever else gives you a lor to be included in the committee letter/packet) to make it easier for adcoms and to perhaps create a theme for your lors (i.e. student is hardworking and passionate, as XYZ lors point out, regardless of what type of activity s/he is in), but the individual lors are still included in the packet.

OP: is this what you were talking about? i got the impression that a committee wrote you a lor and that was your only lor. some committees (or all?) have applications and interviews and w.e. and then they write you a lor, though your committee can be personalized (you can request professors or officials to be on your committee) so it's slightly different from the scenario i presented earlier where you send in lors to the committee and they summarize, point out your strongest/most pertinent attributes, come up with a theme, and/or add their own observations based on their application and interviews if that applies.