Shadowing a Cardiologist tomorrow morning: ANY tips/advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wizenedone

Indeed...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips or advice? What questions should I ask him?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask questions as they come up. Wear nice clothes. Don't be a *******. Feel him out.

But don't feel him up. Unless he's into that.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's not too late, check out Dale Dubin's "Rapid Interpretation of EKG's" If this is a long-term shadowing thing, it will really help. Also, ask to see the Cath lab, because it is awesome.

Remember: T-wave inversion is a sign of ischemia after heart attack.
Mitral valve prolapse is detected by an audible mid-systolic click
toursade de pointes is by far the coolest thing to see

Also remember: don't slack off or you'll be subjected a stress test:) they are not fun.

If you see a flat line, call someone who knows what they are doing.

If you see a flat line, call someone who knows what they are doing.

and that would be SDN pre-allo people.:D OP can always refer his cardiologist here if he disagrees with the diagnosis OP made.

and that would be SDN pre-allo people.:D OP can always refer his cardiologist here if he disagrees with the diagnosis OP made.

hah, no I was definitely not talking about me. I was thinking more along the lines of the OP being alone in the room or wandering the halls and stumbling across a code.

Ask to defibrillate somebody. Even if they don't need it. It will show initiative and tenacity on your part, and this will look good in a letter of recommendation.

Ask to defibrillate somebody. Even if they don't need it. It will show initiative and tenacity on your part, and this will look good in a letter of recommendation.

Good idea, just remember to yell "Clear" before you shock them. It will be kind of hard to get a letter from the grave.

or at least learn to put on a 12-lead. Just don't do what I did summer after Freshman year and, when asked to interpret EKG results from a patient who had (and knew about) some rare and non-life-threatening abnormality, say--in front of the patient--"Is this something we should worry about?"

The doc and the patient had a laugh.

That same day I asked what some blotches were on an X-ray and was told tht they were a common medical occurrence known casually as "unborn marines preparing for deployment" He meant poop.

I can't wait to know stuff so I can have fun at the expense of people who do not yet know stuff.

Good idea, just remember to yell "Clear" before you shock them. It will be kind of hard to get a letter from the grave.

and in case the poor patient goes into shock and dies, move on to shadowing a pathologist:rolleyes:

The guy might have cardiac arrest in the future, so lets shock him now.

Definitely a new interpretation of preventive medicine.

=P

If it's not too late, check out Dale Dubin's "Rapid Interpretation of EKG's" If this is a long-term shadowing thing, it will really help. Also, ask to see the Cath lab, because it is awesome.

Remember: T-wave inversion is a sign of ischemia after heart attack.
Mitral valve prolapse is detected by an audible mid-systolic click
toursade de pointes is by far the coolest thing to see

Also remember: don't slack off or you'll be subjected a stress test:) they are not fun.
Might as well buy that book. It's cheap and one of the best medically-related books I've picked up. I picked it up before shadowing a cardiologist and it definitely helped.

Some other pointers: If you can get ahold of a stethescope for cheap, it might be in your interest if this is longterm.

If you're lucky, you get to watch a pacemaker install; those are always cool. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Come up with some good "heart" jokes....they'll make you look cool >).

yeah I'm about to start shadowing as well, I feel like I should know more about medicine than I should, even though I really shouldnt know much...:oops:

Yeah...I shadowed an oncologist last week and he asked me questions about the most prevelent types of cancer in various age agroups. I can't wait to go to med school this fall, and I am just as in love with the field as the next guy...but I still don't know crap. Sometimes it seems as though they want you to know more than you should.

Ask to see a cath done its an awesome experience.

Ask to see a cath done its an awesome experience.
Really? I mean, they are cool, but I'd say pacemakers > caths.
Oh wait, nvm. You're right. The monitors were amazing and seeing everything happening in real time was pretty cool.

Really? I mean, they are cool, but I'd say pacemakers > caths.
Oh wait, nvm. You're right. The monitors were amazing and seeing everything happening in real time was pretty cool.

They are cool to watch especially if they decide to put the stint/stent in...
I think the best shadowing/ clinical experience I have had is to watch ER people run a code. They all work so well together, its like they basically predict each others moves.

Shodowed today. Got to see cath..like 3 of them. VERY COOL!

I shadowed in a cath lab this past Wednesday. I thought it was alright but I was expecting more. I also saw three of them, but from 3 different doctors.

I probably just did not have fun because, I really don't think anyone knew I was coming even though the education department of the hospital set that date up for me. So I just chilled in the cath lab while the doctors did their thing and left, but the RN's were very cool. Oh, it may have been kind of a bad day for them also, because one on the cath labs were down.

Being able to see the coronary arteries and blockages were kind of cool.

Caths are cool if the doc enjoys teaching and explains what he's doing during the procedure and points out anatomy on the monitor throughout, or at least afterwards while reviewing the images. If not then you're just staring at a screen and may not be sure what is what.

ER is generally good for shadowing, get to see a variety of cases and usually get to see the whole "process" from patient interview, testing, diagnosis, treatment, etc...

Have fun though. Don't bother trying to learn or do extensive reading on cardiology to try and be "prepared" for shadowing, just won't happen, especially trying to learn to interpret an ECG at this point. The doc doesn't expect you to come with much knowledge in the area. Enjoy the experience, definitely feel free to ask questions though, just let your curiosity lead you. If you're going to be going multiple times and you see a cool disease or treatment definitely at least look it up and could always ask questions about that the next time you go in.

if it's interventional cards, i would highly recommend learning some basic anatomy. like just become familiar with the coronal arteries and some of the offshoots that diverge from the aorta. that really helped me know what was going on when the doc shot dye for imaging. most of the time, you'll be in the "viewing theater" with the techs, unless you're lucky enough to scrub in. it'll be a lot more fun if you get to go on rounds (request that if possible)