shadowing a dentist my first year, when should I ask for a letter of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t-anteater

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your first year is probably too soon to get a lor. Soooo much will happen between now and applying, but over your next couple of years, try and stay close and in contact with one general dentist you shadow and use them as a mentor. In most cases you can only submit a lor from one dental professional, while the others are academic letters. At this point, just keep a record of your hours.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it’s best to ask for a LOR a few months before you plan on applying. Since ADEA will contact the people and not you, there is no need to keep a copy unless you’re curious about what they say.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming you're away from home for college. So lets say you're at school ~30-35 weeks of the year (more if you take summers), you can easily shadow one time a week for 2 hours, getting over 200 hours in 3 years. This is plenty for most schools and will allow you to maintain a consistent relationship with your dentist.

Ideally, you can even end up working in their office.

I'm assuming you're away from home for college. So lets say you're at school ~30-35 weeks of the year (more if you take summers), you can easily shadow one time a week for 2 hours, getting over 200 hours in 3 years. This is plenty for most schools and will allow you to maintain a consistent relationship with your dentist.

thank you so much! this was very helpful :)

also, would it be kind of hard to find a dentist who would allow me to stay that long? or should i find another shadowing position in a year or two from now that'll be the one to write my LOR?

Your first year is probably too soon to get a lor. Soooo much will happen between now and applying, but over your next couple of years, try and stay close and in contact with one general dentist you shadow and use them as a mentor. In most cases you can only submit a lor from one dental professional, while the others are academic letters. At this point, just keep a record of your hours.
Thank you so much! :)

I think it’s best to ask for a LOR a few months before you plan on applying. Since ADEA will contact the people and not you, there is no need to keep a copy unless you’re curious about what they say.
Thank you!

also, would it be kind of hard to find a dentist who would allow me to stay that long? or should i find another shadowing position in a year or two from now that'll be the one to write my LOR?
I don't think it would be too hard, no. Just make sure to ask if it is okay for you to come in once a week, as well as what specific day is best for the dentist.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it would be too hard, no. Just make sure to ask if it is okay for you to come in once a week, as well as what specific day is best for the dentist.
Thank you! Is it common for shadowers to stay at one office for so long though?

Thank you! Is it common for shadowers to stay at one office for so long though?
I've shadowed a dentist for two years this Dec (not my personal dentist though) :) I love working with her and have a great relationship with her, and I'm sure she wrote a genuine letter of rec!

I've shadowed a dentist for two years this Dec (not my personal dentist though) :) I love working with her and have a great relationship with her, and I'm sure she wrote a genuine letter of rec!
I see, congratulations! And thanks :)

Reactions: 1 user
There is a website that you can store letter of recommendations until you need them. I use Interfolio