Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Shadowing a DO--How long is long enough

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by futuredoc-lisa, Oct 29, 2001.

1. futuredoc-lisa

7+ Year Member

Hi all,

I haven't been on in a very long time-I lost my password. :D

Anyway, I was wondering about Shadowing a DO. Since I am just now taking my pre-req's I want to know, what is the avg time frame to shadow. For example: 1 month or 2 weeks or 3 days, etc. How is it looked upon to do only a few days a year or months. You get the picutre.

I am feeling that I will need to change jobs to be able to shadow since I work such long hours with very little time off. I think I will have to get back into education until after I finish my pre-reqs.

Thanks for all your advice.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BooBooBear

BooBooBear Member
    7+ Year Member

futuredoc-lisa

Well... "you get out of it what you put into it" is probably the simplest answer to give. The purpose of "shadowing" is for you the future applicant to learn more about osteopathic medicine and whether or not IT is right for you and for the DO to get to know you to see if you are right for IT.

So how long is long enough? I have heard that more schools are asking how many hours you have volunteered, rather than how long (days, weeks, months). So with that in mind, more is better (when you have an opportunity to learn). But it also has to fit into your life.

Sorry for the seemingly vague answer.

BBB :D

4. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason
    10+ Year Member

I've shadowed docs for a week at a time... and I've shdowed docs for a 1/2 day. It really depends on the doc.. and what you're lookin to get from the experience. I would never quit/change my job just to shadow. Medical schools are looking to know if you know what you are getting into (by shadowing) - they don't want a mini-career.

Hope I helped!
    -A

5. David511

David511 Ponch's Illegitimate Son
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Let's be real here, folks. Some may shadow to 'get to know about Osteopathy' but most do it for the letter of rec from a DO so they can complete their apps.

So Lisa, I'd say that you should shadow a DO until you feel he knows you well enough to write you a great letter of rec. For most docs (unless their lazy or super-busy) this means that you'll have to spend some 'quality-time' together. Only then will they be able to write you a letter that will make a favorable impression on the AdComs.

6. futuredoc-lisa

7+ Year Member

Well,

Thanks for the information. I will consider it all. I do, however, feel I need to go back to education, so I will have time to study, etc. The one good thing about my current position, is that they will pay up to $600 per year toward a degree that will benefit them. I am hoping to squeeze at least a few classes out of them. If I find that they can pay for all my classes, of course, I will stay and tough it out.

Again, Thanks.
    Lisa