Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Shadowing a doctor?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ravin, Mar 29, 2004.

1. ravin

ravin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have arranged to shadow two doctors for a week a piece. Is this enough time? What am I suppose to get out of shawoing a doctor besides on site experience into the field? Does it matter how long you shadow a doctor? Do I need a doctor to write me a reccomendation?
    Thanks,
    Ravi

2. Drakensoul

Drakensoul Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You'll get to see if it's something you really want to go into, rather than just looking like you picked the medical profession because it "sounds neato."

Couldn't hurt to have an MD LoR; if you end up having a good enough relationship with one of them at the end that you feel comfortable asking for one, go for it..

3. ad_sharp

ad_sharp Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Instead of shadowing a doctor, my friend and I contacted the volunteer services office at a nearby hospital and set up times to spend in the ER and other areas of the hospitals. We just asked doctors if we could tag along with them sometimes. We eneded up setting in on surgeries, taking vitals, running specimens to the lab, etc. This might be a good idea for you to consider. It is helpful to establish a good relationship with at least one doctor, but any experience is good experience.