Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Shadowing a doctor...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by thadarknyte, Dec 1, 2005.

1. thadarknyte

thadarknyte Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

So I have a question about this...a couple actually:

What exactly does this entail?
    Like if i do get to shadow someone, what should i do? What should i say? What is the first day like? Please help someone!

2. Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well I've shadowed a few doctors and it is a GREAT experience--you definitely should do it!! Don't be afraid....it's fun! In my experiences, I basically just followed the doctor around and I've really learned a lot from it. Don't worry about what to do or say....just act mature and professional.....you'll just be observing the doctor with his/her patients. I've found it's a great time to ask a bunch of questions and get honest answers. I'm getting ready to shadow a surgeon over break.......if you volunteer at the hospital, that is a great way to find doctors to shadow.

3. SanDiegoSOD

SanDiegoSOD Milk was a bad choice
    7+ Year Member

You can't go wrong by sitting there, saying nothing, and watching the doctor do his/her thing. You'll probably be introduced to the patient, and don't be afraid to say hello when you are. When the doc is talking to the patient, listen intently, but don't stare at the patient the whole time. As you can imagine, that could make the patient nervous or uncomfortable.
    Really, just be relaxed about the whole thing. It's not a midterm or a public speaking event, so there is no need to be anxious about it. You're just watching normal human beings interact in an unusual environment. Once you learn the ropes, you'll be golden. :thumbup:

4. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It is very relaxed, you just observe, and sometimes make conversation with patients. Easy, and pretty fun too.