1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Shadowing a doctor

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Engg to Doc, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Engg to Doc

Engg to Doc Member
    7+ Year Member

The doctor I plan to shadow is renovating his office and then going off on vacation till August. So I can start shadowing him only in Sep. I am a non trad student, with no clinical experience and plan to apply next year (June 2003). Do you think I should find another doctor to shadow till September so that Iwould have atleast a year of clinical experience by the time I apply, or do a couple of months not matter?

Thanks in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Melisa

Melisa Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

It all depends on how well you know this doctor. Sometimes, it is very difficult to look for a doctor who willing to let you shadow him/her. It took me several months last year to find a physician. His schedule was busy and I could only observe him for a week. Later on during my internship at the hospital, my research mentor allows me to shadow him in the Infant Intensive Care Unit. I know him well, and it was a great experience for me.

4. Engg to Doc

Engg to Doc Member
    7+ Year Member

Melisa,
    I have a very good relationship with my physician - I plan to shadow him for about a year and he has been very accomodative so far (He has even offered to get me an office set up!). My question is that if I start in September, by the time I apply I'll have 9-10 months of clinical experience. I was wondering if I need to start right away to have a better looking app.

5. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

I do not really see the reason why people would shadow for so long. A week or a month will do the point..

6. Engg to Doc

Engg to Doc Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, I am hoping that by shadowing for a longer time, I'll have more clinical experience....