Shadowing a Doctor.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZacharyMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into shadowing a doctor, however, I have a few questions on the whole process. I'm aware that I will be following him/her around during rounds, etc. For those of you who've done this before, please fill me in on what everything entails. How long should I be shadowing the doctor for? Do I get a LOR from him soon after we're finished or wait until I need it for my apps?

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know as well.

My own personal experience, is as you volunteer at a hospital, you constantly run into the same doctors and you get to know them. After getting to know them a little they are more than happy to have you shadow them and work with them for a little while. I shadowed in different areas every two weeks all with really nice great doctors. Thats my own personal experience. I'm sure if you ask, most doctors love showing those interested in following them and teaching!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the first step is finding the doctor. Then as far as time I suggest 3-4 shifts so you can have a true feeling of it but don't stress with numbers- what I have heard is medical schools want you to show you understand what the role of a doctor is.

As far as the LOR I would gage it- I wouldn't ask after the first day that is for sure. Let them get to know you- see how you think they would respond. Were the very active in including you or were you just a fly on the wall?

The first doctor I will be shadowing was awesome and really included me answering any questions, explaining X Rays, etc. after patients were gone she talked to me about school choices, advice on course, were she went, and said she would be glad to write the LOR for her school. I am holding off for a few more shadowing days before I aproach her on other schools (especially the one she is on the ADCOM for ;) ) FYI- she has been my family physician for 5 years and knows my entire family (and that I have been loathing her job forever lol)

sorry that was long but it hopefully will help

My own personal experience, is as you volunteer at a hospital, you constantly run into the same doctors and you get to know them. After getting to know them a little they are more than happy to have you shadow them and work with them for a little while. I shadowed in different areas every two weeks all with really nice great doctors. Thats my own personal experience. I'm sure if you ask, most doctors love showing those interested in following them and teaching!

thats funny- i have volunteered for over a year and the doctors seem to change each shift- i went to some people about shadowing and they weren't so helpful- all my shadowing has come from my general physician or connections from the oral surgeon and his wife (a PA) that I nanny for