Shadowing a Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard it's good to mass email several doctors in the hopsital in an area you're interested in to see if they would allow you to shadow them. But do doctors usually discuss these matters amongst themselves? For example, if you asked 6 different doctors, will they know that you've asked 6 of them and therefore isn't being "sincere"? What's the best way to decline an offer when you have more than one who is willing for you to shadow?

Also, is there usually a lot of paperwork involved before you can start shadowing? If so, how long does it generally take?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I can almost guarantee you they won't talk amongst themselves. That said, rather than effectively cold-calling a bunch of random doctors, I'd recommend finding just a few that are particularly active in education and sending them your request. It may also be worth calling the hospital to ask if they have shadowing programs already set up. At least one hospital in my area has this, and you're more likely to get placed with a physician who really wants to have students shadow that way. Even if they don't have anything set up, they may be able to point you toward a particular physician or group.

Whatever you do, if you approached them,.you should accept every physician who offers to let you shadow (for this reason I'd recommend against six at once).

No, doctors don't have weekly conferences to compare who has asked them about shadowing. I would also recommend thinking a bit on what kind of physician you want to shadow. Some specialties/environments don't lend themselves well to shadowing if you're trying to see cool medically stuff. Also, why decline after a doctor agrees to let you shadow them?

For paperwork, I guess it depends how formal you want to make it. I'm sure some places have ways to document your experience so you/they can keep track of it. If it's relatively informal it'll probably just be a non-disclosure agreement.

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is, I heard many docotors just don't check their emails very often, which is why I'm thinking about emailing multiple at the same time. I'm interested in shadowing an anesthesiologist--is that one of those fields that don't lend themselves well to shadowing?

I shadow an M.D. right now, and the way i took the initiative was by mapping out various family practices.(Part of me is considering being a primary care physician which is why i did it this way)
I walked in and asked to speak with the doctor if he/she could spare a second, "im a young student with hopes of going to medical school, i dont know any physicians and was wondering if (at you convenience) maybe, hopefully, if it wasnt too much trouble shadow and LEARN from you here at your practice.

Second practice i went to, the doctor was more than willing, so i go every monday for about 3-4 hours while actually learn a lot hands on, the patients are so nice and helpful as well.

He also works at the hospital also so im going to start shadowing him there as well as soon as i get the paperwork stuff cleared out, since the hospital does not have a shadowing program.

But MY ADVICE for hospitals definitely look into ones that have programs for that. My personal opinion is to take that extra step (actually getting off the computer and going to introduce yourselves and explain as you would in the email). Most doctors are from the generation before us anyway, being able to ask them in person is much more beneficial for your chances to shadow one of them.

GOOD LUCK!

The thing is, I heard many docotors just don't check their emails very often, which is why I'm thinking about emailing multiple at the same time. I'm interested in shadowing an anesthesiologist--is that one of those fields that don't lend themselves well to shadowing?
That's great. However as mentioned in above replies, physicians (especially specialized) are very busy usually it would be hard to to via email.

Take a couple hours to look up, on internet via phone etc. the names of anesthesiologists near you at various hospitals. Don't be a stalker, but try and find a way has got to be a way to meet them while they are not on the clock. and be honest, saying that you've been looking to shadow an anesthesiologist, and really wanted to introduce yourself to him or her to see if they would be willing to help you etc. They would appreciate that you went OUT OF YOUR WAY for their attention.!

Best of luck!

There may be more paperwork, but anesthesiologists have a really cool job that lends itself well to clinical teaching for students. Having the patient asleep means they can speak freely and teach. They're generally pretty happy, which helps.

My advice would be to find an anesthesia group near you, call, and speak with their secretary/coordinator to see if they allow students to shadow.

Just remember that if the doctor sees his shadow, the patient will be in the hospital for another 6 weeks...

I've heard it's good to mass email several doctors in the hopsital in an area you're interested in to see if they would allow you to shadow them. But do doctors usually discuss these matters amongst themselves? For example, if you asked 6 different doctors, will they know that you've asked 6 of them and therefore isn't being "sincere"?

I don't know about doctors, but one of the professors at my school said that this is exactly what happens if you mass email a department looking for a position as a research assistant. And the professors don't like it.

My advice is to stagger your emails by a few days and spread them out among different hospitals and departments.

What's the best way to decline an offer when you have more than one who is willing for you to shadow?

Just say thanks for the offer, but I'm going to be shadowing another doctor for now. If you like, you can also ask them if they would be willing to allow you to shadow them at a later date.

Also, is there usually a lot of paperwork involved before you can start shadowing? If so, how long does it generally take?

Depends on the doctor/clinic. Some doctors that I shadowed asked for no paper work, some asked for records that it took me 1 - 2 weeks to obtain.

Last edited:
I've heard it's good to mass email several doctors in the hopsital in an area you're interested in to see if they would allow you to shadow them. But do doctors usually discuss these matters amongst themselves? For example, if you asked 6 different doctors, will they know that you've asked 6 of them and therefore isn't being "sincere"? What's the best way to decline an offer when you have more than one who is willing for you to shadow?

Thank you so much!

The hospital I'm trying to shadow at requires paperwork submitted at least a month in advance. Shot records, tuberculin ppd within the past year, criminal background check, orientation, training, exact dates of shadowing, multiple forms signed by multiple people, etc. It's a bureaucratic nightmare.

I've never really heard of it being discussed either. I've occasionally heard discussions about shadowing but never in a, "So, this person asked me to shadow, what do you guys think?" kind of way.

I wouldn't mass email, but whether looking to shadow or looking for any other volunteer-type position, it helps to know what areas you're interested in and ask if they are willing to take you OR could refer you to someone who might be a better fit. This can get you a wider audience without coming across as insincere. Then you can pick a person in every specialty you're interested in, send a message, and if they never get back to you try someone else.

However you do it, try to be succinct, professional, and communicate some kind of compelling reason why you want to shadow in that area/with that doc (if applicable).

One thing I found out was that some places vary on a departmental basis and others require that you have some affiliation with the institution. Like others said, you'll probably need to produce proof of vaccination and a recent (annual) TB test and sign some paperwork (usually organizational policies and an agreement to abide by HIPAA regulations). While you're waiting you could probably amass most of that stuff and be ready to hit the ground running if someone gives you the green light.