Shadowing a physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazy4MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I replied to a post earlier today asking the same question but decided to post my own message too just in case. I was just wondering how the shadowing thing works and how can you find a physician to shadow because I have been volunteering in a hospital for two years and I've never heard of such a thing except in these forums. I'd like to know how I can go about doing this. thanks. :confused: :confused: :( :( :) :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

You can start asking docs to shadow them because you're interested in the field in which they are praticing.

Most of the docs I've shadowed were more than happy to be shadowed and can't stop talking about their experience.... I think it gives them a bit of an ego boast :D.... Anyway, just ask and hopefully they'll open the door for you to see their world.... Good Luck :cool:

Just like Popoy said, all you need to do is talk to some doctors you know, or possibly even contact some you don't know who perhaps work in fields that particularly interest you. Ask if you can observe their work in clinic, on rounds, etc. Shadowing surgeries may be more difficult to set up, but I think people have done it.

Members don't see this ad :)
How would I be able to get in touch with a physician though? I'm just a college student, I don't know many doctors and even in the hospital they seem so busy and occupied.

One way is to just stop them and ask them....

Another way is to ask the nurses and see which doc would be willing to have a shadow for the day.

Find others that work in the hospital that you're comfortable talking/speaking to and ask them to hook you up.

Anyone else have other ideas, please post up!!! :D