Shadowing a Retail Pharmacist When You Don't Work There?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BallerinaRx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Semi-weird question - I am starting my pharmacy pre-reqs this upcoming fall and previously worked in a Walgreens retail pharmacy as a CPhT from 2004-2006. I got to know the pharmacy manager really well (I worked every weekend and was the only tech on the weekends with the pharmacy manager). I'd like to shadow a pharmacist to add to my experience over the next couple years - but since I don't work for Walgreens anymore (I work full-time in a different industry to pay the bills), would it be possible for me to shadow with the pharmacy manager's permission? Or is there a corporate rule against any non-employee shadowing a pharmacist?

I don't remember this situation ever coming up while I worked at Walgreens, but could see it not being allowed due to HIPAA or liability issues. Getting my IL tech license back is pretty simple for me to do, so licensing isn't an issue. Don't know if I have to re-take the CPhT exam (probably though since it's been 4 years).

Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Best thing to do is you should ask the pharmacy manager if it's all right. I don't know how IL laws work, but TX is pretty stringent on non-employees coming in to shadow.

I'm sure someone else on this forum has more to say on this topic. Good luck.

Even to volunteer/shadow you still need to be certified...I suggest getting your certification current and speaking to the pharmacy manager

Even to volunteer/shadow you still need to be certified...I suggest getting your certification current and speaking to the pharmacy manager

In IL you don't have to be certified to work in a pharmacy, just have your tech license...but yes, I'm planning on getting re-certified prior to discussing with the pharmacy manager.