Shadowing Advice Needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunqueen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to shadow a doctor, and the easiest one for me to shadow is a plastic surgeon. I would also be able to scrub in as much as I like if I shadow him. However, my premed advisor seemed to think that med schools frown upon experience in the cosmetically enhancing arena.

What do you all think? Is it better to shadow a doc in a more conservative field and get less experience or go shadow the plastics doc where I'll get to spend a considerable time in the OR? If you suggest going the conservative route, any suggestions on finding a dr willing to take on a premed?

Members don't see this ad.

The direct benefits of shadowing on your application has never been well documented. While shadowing is a plus having 100's of hours of shadowing isn't going to do much more for you then say 20 hours. You would be better off doing some kind of active work in that time.

My opinion is that if you enjoy being in the OR, then do it. I don't think that it will hurt you that your interested in plastic surgery. I know someone who was involved in a gun accident that is very greatful for his plastic surgeon. Having said this, I would also try to shaddow a few other areas to make your experiences more diverse. You don't need to spend tons of time though. When I look back at my interviews, I was just asked about my experiences in the clinic. A few afternoons in 2 or 3 different areas would have given me plenty of experiences to relay.