shadowing an ER doc or general surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronaldo23

The Truth
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
school offers program between the two-
what would you guys pick, and why?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you can't go wrong, either one would be a valuable experience. Have you had any previous experience shadowing? If so, I would pick the one least like the one you have done before in order to get some variation.

Personally, I would pick the ER doc. I've already seen enough surgery (no ER experience yet) and the ER experience, just by nature, generally tends to be a very diverse one with good variety throughout the day. But that's just me, again, you really can't go wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you look at it this way. Many of us have shadowed ER docs because either we've volunteered in the ER or been an EMT and sorta shadowed the ER...there's other ways you can get into this.

However, general surgery....so much more fascinating that your school has a program for this, I'd say go for it...you'll have more interesting stories and its something not many people get to do. I'm jealous, don't blow the opportunity. :D

I did both in undergrad, and they were both very interesting, but I went back to shadow the ER doc more times. There isn't a bad choice for this one.

Shadow in the ED if you haven't much experience shadowing. I feel you'll get a better feel for medicine, on top of the fact that shadowing in an ED isn't all-too-easy to arrange. You will see a variety of cases, and will see both medicine and procedures. Likewise, it's my guess there will be more opportunity to ask and understand about various clinical situations.

I actually recently (yesterday) shadowed a surgical oncologist who was on call in the ER at the hospital here, and it was one of the most amazing things ever. So intense, and you literally learn SO much in just one day. I love the ER -- so much diversity & you never know what your giong to see next. THere was a huge car accident on a main highway here in the city and i was there as the patient was brought in on STARS air ambulance and with him until right before he went into surgery -- so amazing! I'd say any job shadowing experience would be good, but I'd personally choose the ER!

Surgery is awesome. I saw a craniotomy and it was really cool. The one surgery I'd really love to see is a coronary bypass. I'll see if that can be arranged;)

er doc! surgery sucks.

I've spent some time shadowing both and while both will offer great experiences, I'd probably go with general surgery. In the ER things can be kind of sporadic. I remember long periods of the doc reading the newspaper or other books; making me fetch stuff like gauze and blood culture kits to keep busy. I've found that in a lot of ER's the Doc just signs off on procedures; very rarely will you get the stabbing victim or the MI, but when cases like that do occur it can be amazing to see what they can do. Now, as far as general surgeons are concerned you really get to see everything across the medical spectrum. You get to experience the in-patient and out-patient care of a host of cases, consult with people in the office, go into the OR, and make post-op rounds. Only thing is, I had to be at the hospital by 5:30am every day I shadowed. Good luck, you'll really enjoy it!

I don't know why you have to pick just one. The OR is fun, but I get a little antsy just watching. ER you get to kind of skim over a variety of areas which is nice, and may get to participate a bit. (I helped reduce fractures, a dislocated shoulder and used the doppler to search for a pulse, etc.)

You'll get to see a wide variety of things with both. Sometimes it it was down in the ER, I'd just go down to the OR, throw some scrubs on, and kind of meander into the various rooms. I knew most of the surgeons personally though, so I'm sure it isn't a fair comparison.