Shadowing and clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoBad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a couple of questions here, if there's another thread with the answers feel free to point me to it :).

Does shadowing count as clinical experience? Do the doctors allow you to help them in their duties or would that require an internship/job position?

Also, is there a resource available to know if any clinics around the local area are understaffed and would appreciate volunteer work? Thanks for your time guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Just a couple of questions here, if there's another thread with the answers feel free to point me to it :).

Does shadowing count as clinical experience? Do the doctors allow you to help them in their duties or would that require an internship/job position?

Also, is there a resource available to know if any clinics around the local area are understaffed and would appreciate volunteer work? Thanks for your time guys!
No, expect to be a fly on the wall.

Yes, it's called a telephone.

Don't know about clinics, but most hospitals have a volunteer page where they have application info etc.

Members don't see this ad :)

Does shadowing count as clinical experience?
NO

Do the doctors allow you to help them in their duties or would that require an internship/job position?
No... not generally, although it depends. When I shadowed my own Medical Director, she had me read & summarize charts for her before seeing Pts or making certain clinical decisions. Of course, I work on that floor, so she can hopefully trust my clinical judgment in picking out what she needs to know. I've also had docs with whom I have a good personal relationship let me assist in certain ways (e.g., assisting with a procedure or writing lab orders for them, which they then signed); however, this is definitely not the norm and happened due to having professional clinical experience in a medical setting already.

Also, is there a resource available to know if any clinics around the local area are understaffed and would appreciate volunteer work?
Yes, it's called the Internet. Another option is your pre-health club or program.

Thanks for your time guys!

1 character.

That cleared up a lot of things, thanks for the info, time to go ask around :laugh:. Also another tiny question, is it considered better etiquette to email the doctor when first contacting them or by telephone?

Honestly I would just call. The doctors I shadowed and my own personal doctor are too busy/not interested (you decide) to write out an email response to something like that.

I got to dispose of a few amputated limbs while watching a surgeon this summer.

I can only hope that counts as clinical experience. :laugh:

shadowing is kinda / kinda not clinical experience. you're there, but you don't do anything...just "shadow". it was boring at times...but then again i wasn't shadowing dr. house

I wish I were American so I could shadow, but shadowing is banned where I live.

You risk too much, Chops369, your e-reputation is on the line!
That's a risk I'm willing to take, for the decisions I type are the decisions I make! :shifty:

Dr. Seuss, IS THAT YOU?!?!!

I'm callin' BS.

BS as in, "Bro that's Sweet!" right?

It may have consisted of me donning gloves, getting a body part handed to me by a scrub tech, than carrying it 10 feet across the room.

:thumbup:

Guess no one will know for sure though.