Shadowing and Extracurriculars...how important are they?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a year away from applying to dental school, and up to this point I have been focusing almost exclusively on my classes and keeping my GPA high. I haven't calculated my GPA since last semester ended but I'd conservatively estimate it to be at about 3.6+ Anyways, I'm a nontraditional student (27 years old), and if I had to say, right now I'd say my weakest area as a future applicant is that I have no shadowing experience, and no extracurricular/volunteer activities in the past 5 years. Like I said, up until now I basically focused on my science courses and making good grades. I felt that was the best thing I could do for myself, but now as the admissions process draws near I'm a bit worried that I haven't been invovled in other activities outside of the classroom. How much weight does an admissions committee place upon shadowing, extracurriculars, and volunteer work? I have basically about 10 months to potentially strengthen my weakness, is that enough time? Should I take on some shadowing/volunteer work?

Members don't see this ad.

slash,

having shadowed a dentist and voluteer work is not mandatory. however, it would help you out tremendously. with your gpa, maturity (age) not only the extra curr/shadowing stuff make your appl look great, but also you yourself will learn a lot.

one thing you do still have is TIME. you have plenty of time to get some shadowing and volunteer work done before you apply so i say just do it.

btw, here is the obvious answer to your question whether you should shadow/volunteer: YES

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course you should shadow. Some schools may want proof of this in a letter of rec (Tufts). Shadowing may come up during interviews as well. That being said, 10 months of plenty of time to get some solid shadowing experience under your belt.

As for volunteering... unlike med school, I feel this is a bit overrated for dental school, though still important. Hobbies and skills like playing an instrument also "count" in this broad category. IMHO, volunteer for something outside dentistry if it doesn't take up too much time and you enjoy it. Doing something as little as twice a month over 10 months should be fine.

Assuming you've been doing something useful for the past 5 years, you should be fine after shoring these things up.

Hi, Slash,
Volunteering is important, however, i think the understanding about the profession is also very important. How do u know dentistry is what u want to do for the rest of ur life without any shadowing? Will you like it? For you, it may not be the best decision to spend another 4 yrs and realize that dentistry might not be for u. As long as you know what will u do as a dentist, i dont think your chance will be hurt. However, I would still consider shadowing a little bit in ur schedule. Most dentists will be a great mentor for u too. Grades are not the only thing in dentistry. Once you graduate, u will have to face many many things. Shadowing and talking with a dentist could give u significant insight for ur future.