Shadowing annoyance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altamont850

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've tried to shadow for some time and I'm still not been successful in finding a physician to shadow. Every time I ask the appropriate people, they wax about HIPPA and red tape but I always hear about people at other schools shadowing far early in their career than me. I don't know any physicians and no on in my family is a physician. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you could try volunteering at a hospital. Most will HIPAA train you before you start volunteering. Not only could you count your volunteer hours, but you may be able to have a better chance at shadowing a physician within the hospital/clinic that you are volunteering at (and maybe even secure a nice LOR).

All academic centers will have the capacity to let you shadow, no matter what anyone tells you. You simply have to be 'officially' (ie sit through a silly class) educated in HIPPA. It may take some time to figure out who you need to talk to, but avenues have to exist. I would talk to other pre-meds at your school as they will have an idea about the local opportunities. You can also try the pre-med societies at your school if nothing else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've tried to shadow for some time and I'm still not been successful in finding a physician to shadow. Every time I ask the appropriate people, they wax about HIPPA and red tape but I always hear about people at other schools shadowing far early in their career than me. I don't know any physicians and no on in my family is a physician. What should I do?

This is one of many informal obstacles that are more difficult to navigate for people who do not come from physician families. If your dad were a doctor, you would simply call him and he most likely could arrange as much shadowing as you want. But it doesn't do any good to complain about it. Adapt and overcome.

You could try being a scribe. You are present when a doctor is talking to patients, which is essentially the point of shadowing.

Most pre-health advisors should have shadowing programs or access to lists of physicians who are willing to be shadowed. If not, contact a local medical school or hospital and ask them if they maintain a list of shadow friendly docs. Some do, some don't. However, some teaching hospitals won't take too many pre-meds since they teach so many medical students. Good luck.

What I did was ask close family doctors. That should get you some primary care shadowing. For surgery shadowing, it's better to find a program, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:
Some practices will actually have dates scheduled specifically for shadowing. I tried calling a physician's office and I was told that they have 2 shadowing dates per year. They were booked until 2014 (so needless to say that didn't work out). It may not hurt to see if your school has a pre-health advisory committee that can direct you to physicians that you can shadow.

Maybe you could try volunteering at a hospital. Most will HIPAA train you before you start volunteering. Not only could you count your volunteer hours, but you may be able to have a better chance at shadowing a physician within the hospital/clinic that you are volunteering at (and maybe even secure a nice LOR).

+1

Did pretty much this and got a nice LOR from an E.R. doc.

All academic centers will have the capacity to let you shadow, no matter what anyone tells you. You simply have to be 'officially' (ie sit through a silly class) educated in HIPPA. It may take some time to figure out who you need to talk to, but avenues have to exist. I would talk to other pre-meds at your school as they will have an idea about the local opportunities. You can also try the pre-med societies at your school if nothing else.

Not always. While avenues may exist, they may be protected by contracts, etc. Some hospital systems are VERY difficult with this sort of thing. I would suggest beginning with your school's established relationships (i.e., with your pre-med advisor/club) and fanning outward from there if possible. You could also use your connections if you have them. (This is usually the best possible option but is unfortunately not available to everyone.)

Try to shadow at a teaching hospital if there is one close to you. I think most of teaching hospitals have a formal shadowing system in place for medical students, and they may allow the rules to be bent for pre-medical students.

I started by e-mailing residency program directors because I figured they would be sympathetic to students, more so than private practice hospital employee physicians. A few never replied. One replied and said he would be happy to help, but then ignored me. I tried calling the guy and his secretary put me in contact with an administrator in the medical education department, who in turn set me up with another, more receptive program director. The formalities -- paperwork, background check, vaccination records, HIPAA training, blood borne pathogen training, fire and safety training, etc. -- took about a month and a half to complete. I'm sure the specific time frames vary from hospital to hospital, but it's probably a good idea to start as soon as possible if you're looking to shadow within a specific time frame.

I said I was applying to medical school and would like to shadow in hopes of gaining a letter of rec. My need was the LOR and I was up front about it.

I wouldn't suggest doing this. A LOR should be an added benefit after you've had a good experience. Clinical experience is for you to get exposure to the medical field, not to have a check in the box.

This is where you get the experience to answer questions like: Why medicine? Why a physician? etc.

You should talk about wanting to get exposure to the medical field and if you have a great experience with your physician, then go back afterwards and ask them for a LOR. A lot of physicians are happy to write one, although there are many exceptions.

Good luck. My 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I said I was applying to medical school and would like to shadow in hopes of gaining a letter of rec. My need was the LOR and I was up front about it.

You've got cajones for doing that. Hopefully it works out in your favor.

Well being an EMT for 7 years I already had exposure to the medical field so all I needed was the letter.

Are you applying DO?

If so, they might be more receptive to that since they know a letter is required.

If not (and you are applying MD), then a physician letter is not required nor very helpful in most cases.

You need a LOR from someone you are going to shadow and have never met before? This is the definition of a bad letter.

I think he meant that he would get the letter after spending time with them, but mentioned that a letter would be an interest in the future. It seems bold, but I think a lot of doctors are aware that medical school applicants are gonna ask them for letters anyway. I doubt the physician would be surprised or shocked.

It could be a risk because if the physician knows this upfront without meeting him/her, they might believe they are only checking a box. Which, is probably what you are referring to why it would be a bad letter.

I've got other extracurricular activities in order:

Research
Volunteer at local health department which serves low-income families
Member of chemistry organization
Member of group which mentors students in elementary and junior high school
Hospital volunteer

I guess shadowing isn't essential?

Not always. While avenues may exist, they may be protected by contracts, etc. Some hospital systems are VERY difficult with this sort of thing. I would suggest beginning with your school's established relationships (i.e., with your pre-med advisor/club) and fanning outward from there if possible. You could also use your connections if you have them. (This is usually the best possible option but is unfortunately not available to everyone.)

"can" and "will" end up being two different things but in general I agree with you. When I was in UG the lab I worked in took on a freshman as a lab tech for a semester just because he had no other way to get into the clinic to shadow (other than being an employee). It was more an issue with the department than the hospital.

Some hospitals have a link online with info about shadowing. A few I've been at have had forms that you fill out online to do shadowing and then someone contacts you to set it up. I've also found that contacting physicians directly is quite helpful. This is all just based on my own experience.
Good luck!

I can't add much to this discussion, because so much is dependent on uncontrollable factors like: your location, who reads your query, and how many others have asked to shadow recently.

But I will say this: Don't give up. It may be hard to get in, but it's worth it!

I've got other extracurricular activities in order:

Research
Volunteer at local health department which serves low-income families
Member of chemistry organization
Member of group which mentors students in elementary and junior high school
Hospital volunteer

I guess shadowing isn't essential?

The rest of your ECs are good. I don't know if shadowing is "essential" or not. However, pretty much everyone has it, so I would try and get some (maybe a few days in a couple different specialties is the norm). It is different than hospital volunteering, and it can be a source of essays or interview anecdotes (my personal statement was actually based off an experience I had while shadowing). I think it is in your best interest to try and get some.