Shadowing As Medical Student vs. Shadowing As Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_Nightlight_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

So by a stroke of infinite randomness, I managed to strike up a conversation with a hospital administrator at a cafe we both frequent on a regular basis. At the end of the conversation she offered to put me in touch with a few of her surgeon colleagues for meeting / shadowing.

I am basically wondering, how can I get the absolute most out of this experience, and not make a fool of myself, and most importantly how will this experience be different given that I am in this weird in between space of pre-med - med student in the months before I matriculate.

I am interested in exploring surgery or at least having an open mind to it and this hospital is one close to my home and heart that I could foresee myself matching to in 4 years. Obviously this is a LONG way off and I am not trying to set myself up for residency with this, just get a better understanding of the fields and not make an ass of myself. My last shadowing experience was very relaxed b/c the shadowing was outpatient and I knew the physician before I began.

Any suggestions on questions to ask, questions to NOT ask, etc... are welcomed. By the end of this i'd like to have a good idea of: what is the bread and butter of the specific profession, what drew them initially and what made them stay for the long haul, what type of people do well, what opportunities / pathways to follow for a successful match, etc... things of that nature!

Best,
nightlight

Members don't see this ad.

You don't magically change after starting medical school. You are functionally the same as you were before. Nobody is expecting anything of you. Be professional, show up when you are supposed to and don't overstay your welcome. Don't over think this.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't magically change after starting medical school. You are functionally the same as you were before. Nobody is expecting anything of you. Be professional, show up when you are supposed to and don't overstay your welcome. Don't over think this.

Haha cool. I kinda realized this as I was writing the post.