Shadowing DO, need LOR but applying in next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wr9152

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Leaning toward DO schools, some of them require a DO LOR, im currently shadowing a DO and i dont know how long it'll last. i want to ask him for an LOR ...

how do i go about this as i am not applying this cycle? can he send it to one of my advisers ...and then it can be sent when its time?

or do i come back to the doctor next year and ask him for a letter...

tbh i dont know how LORs are sent.

Members don't see this ad.

there shouldnt be an "In" in the title.

When you apply to Do school, you do so through a program called the AACOMAS. You never lay eyes on the letter, yourself, unless the DO gives it to you. Your best bet is to let him know you'd like to get a letter of recommendation. He/She will say sure, and then you'll tell him you'll send him an email with your accomplishments and the parameters for the letter of recommendation. I would really wait until about 2 months before you apply to do all this, only, make sure you mention it now, so he/she promises to write you one. Then, when you fill out the AACOMAS, you shoot the DO an email requesting the letter, and attach all your accomplishments and the deadline, etc. Thats what I did. -2nd yr DO student

Members don't see this ad :)
When you apply to Do school, you do so through a program called the AACOMAS. You never lay eyes on the letter, yourself, unless the DO gives it to you. Your best bet is to let him know you'd like to get a letter of recommendation. He/She will say sure, and then you'll tell him you'll send him an email with your accomplishments and the parameters for the letter of recommendation. I would really wait until about 2 months before you apply to do all this, only, make sure you mention it now, so he/she promises to write you one. Then, when you fill out the AACOMAS, you shoot the DO an email requesting the letter, and attach all your accomplishments and the deadline, etc. Thats what I did. -2nd yr DO student
Thanks for the response!
The problem is if I wait 2 months before hand I won't be shadowing him anymore. And he prob won't remember me that well.
I was wondering if he can pre-write?
When filling out application does aacoms send him an email for the LOR or does he have to send it to them?

Thanks so much

Make sure to ask him if he's comfortable writing a good LOR. A friend of mine got a very mediocre lor and it was brought up in an interview.

As for the timeline, sign up for an interfolio account with a 3 year membership. Cost me about 40 when I did it in 2012. Then ask the physician to submit it to interfolio at the end of your shadowing. You don't wanna wait till the cycle starts because chances are, he will likely have forgotten the details about your application and he'll also be busier since other premeds will also ask around that time too.