• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Ella Shepherd

Screen. Stage. Studio.
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I wrote two letters a week or two ago to two different hospitals (one is a teaching hospital and one is a hospital where my doctor's husband heads the dept. of orthopedics).

A surgical resident from the teaching hospital sent me a message just a while ago saying that their chief of surgery has allowed me to shadow the doctors at their department. Yay! He said I should have my own OR gown and caps, etc. But I'm not really sure what to do right now so...what did any of you wear when you shadowed doctors at the surgical department/in the OR?

I'll be leaving in a few minutes to go to my doctor's husband. lol I think I'll be able to shadow him at the dept. of orthopedics. Ah! Two hospitals in one summer. Cool! I better get ready then...

Thanks a lot everyone! :D

P.S. I searched for this but couldn't find a thread that gave me the info I needed. If there is such a thread, please provide the link. I might have overlooked it. Thanks again!

smq123

John William Waterhouse
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
A surgical resident from the teaching hospital sent me a message just a while ago saying that their chief of surgery has allowed me to shadow the doctors at their department. Yay! He said I should have my own OR gown and caps, etc. But I'm not really sure what to do right now so...what did any of you wear when you shadowed doctors at the surgical department/in the OR?

If you shadow a doctor in the OR, you won't really have much of a choice - you'll have to wear hospital-issued scrubs.

I'm not clear on what you mean by "shadowing in the surgical department." If you mean seeing patients in clinic - you should wear professional dress (Skirt/slacks with a nice top, nice shoes, etc.) If you mean rounding on post-operative patients in the hospital...you should probably still wear professional dress. Residents may get away with wearing scrubs during rounds, but you probably shouldn't do that.

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Ditto; if you're actually observing surgeries you'll be wearing hospital scrubs. [I do find the "have your own gown/cap" comment a little strange though....] Try to find out for sure if you can- if you're actually meeting the physician in the surgery department or FOR a particular surgery then I would assume this is the case. I was completely lost and out of place my first time, but I found the surgical nurses and techs to be very friendly; just ask anything you don't know (where the scrubs/changing room is, where the hair caps and booties are, etc.). If you know you'll be changing right away try not to carry anything with you- you won't have a locker to put it in, and you might consider a small backpack or bag for your clothes that you can leave in a corner somewhere. Wear comfortable shoes of course. Oh, and I believe this is universally true....the surgical suite will be sub-zero (not really, but cold). If I had to do it again I would wear a long-sleeved t-shirt under the scrub top; that was OK to do at my hospital.

Unless specifically stated otherwise, I would assume that "shadowing" in surgery really means "observing some surgeries" as opposed to literally following the doctor around all day as you might do in primary care. Oh, and people will know you look out of place, so once you do get your bearings, make a conscience effort to look like you know what you're doing and where you're going >). Anyway, best of luck!

About the Ads

Ella Shepherd

Screen. Stage. Studio.
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Ditto; if you're actually observing surgeries you'll be wearing hospital scrubs. [I do find the "have your own gown/cap" comment a little strange though....] Try to find out for sure if you can- if you're actually meeting the physician in the surgery department or FOR a particular surgery then I would assume this is the case. I was completely lost and out of place my first time, but I found the surgical nurses and techs to be very friendly; just ask anything you don't know (where the scrubs/changing room is, where the hair caps and booties are, etc.). If you know you'll be changing right away try not to carry anything with you- you won't have a locker to put it in, and you might consider a small backpack or bag for your clothes that you can leave in a corner somewhere. Wear comfortable shoes of course. Oh, and I believe this is universally true....the surgical suite will be sub-zero (not really, but cold). If I had to do it again I would wear a long-sleeved t-shirt under the scrub top; that was OK to do at my hospital.

Unless specifically stated otherwise, I would assume that "shadowing" in surgery really means "observing some surgeries" as opposed to literally following the doctor around all day as you might do in primary care. Oh, and people will know you look out of place, so once you do get your bearings, make a conscience effort to look like you know what you're doing and where you're going >). Anyway, best of luck!

lol Yes, that's what I meant. :) Thanks!

Btw, I just met with the head of orthopedics I was talking about earlier. (He and his wife are so nice and so helpful!) He says that I'll be doing rounds with the residents of the orthopedics dept. for the first week. On the second, I'll be at the dept. of surgery. On the third, I'll be in obstetrics. And on the 4th, I'll be in medical and on the 5th in pediatrics! Yay!

After those four weeks, I'll be spending the 6th week in the other hospital at their dept. of surgery.

And yeah, I have to get my own scrubs, cap, mask, etc. And he says also a pair of shoes only for the OR. Cool. :) I guess they won't let me use the ones from the hospital exactly. Oh well. I just have to figure out where to get those things...and fast, cause I'll be joining them next week! Ah!! :p

I'll be meeting them at the office first I think. At least that's what he said. They'll introduce me to the residents and assign me a "resident buddy". :p

I hope I don't make a fool of myself too much. lol :luck:

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
That's an unbelievable opportunity you have there! The most "shadowing" I was able to get on my application was observing a few surgeries. You must be attractive.... ;). I think it's weird that they use regular scrubs in surgery. Some physicians use their own caps, and you can buy them in scrub stores....but MASKS?! Every mask I've ever encountered in my life was disposable.... Same thing with shoes- everywhere I've been used disposable shoe covers, so it doesn't matter what shoes you have. Are you by any chance living abroad? >)

Ella Shepherd

Screen. Stage. Studio.
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If you shadow a doctor in the OR, you won't really have much of a choice - you'll have to wear hospital-issued scrubs.

I'm not clear on what you mean by "shadowing in the surgical department." If you mean seeing patients in clinic - you should wear professional dress (Skirt/slacks with a nice top, nice shoes, etc.) If you mean rounding on post-operative patients in the hospital...you should probably still wear professional dress. Residents may get away with wearing scrubs during rounds, but you probably shouldn't do that.

I meant observing. Sorry. :) I'll be in the OR and out. I will ask the doctor when I can but based on what you've been through, do you think they'd mind much if I just wear some comfy jeans or pants, a nice top (like a polo shirt) and closed shoes when seeing patients in the clinic/hospital?

Ella Shepherd

Screen. Stage. Studio.
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
That's an unbelievable opportunity you have there! The most "shadowing" I was able to get on my application was observing a few surgeries. You must be attractive.... ;). I think it's weird that they use regular scrubs in surgery. Some physicians use their own caps, and you can buy them in scrub stores....but MASKS?! Every mask I've ever encountered in my life was disposable.... Same thing with shoes- everywhere I've been used disposable shoe covers, so it doesn't matter what shoes you have. Are you by any chance living abroad? >)

lol :D I can't believe it myself! Undegraduate college students aren't usually allowed to. I'm just happy I got accepted! :) I study in the Philippines.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.