Shadowing Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this seems like a dumb topic, but I am shadowing a radiation oncologist in a few weeks and am wondering if anyone can comment on basic etiquette/unwritten rules for shadowing doctors? I've done some shadowing in the past, bu t it was very informal with Drs I had already known before, this time it is a random Dr who responded to my email inquiry, and I would really like to make a good impression. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Avoid being an irritating dork - it's really that simple. Pay attention, be interested, ask questions (but not about every itty bitty thing and not in front of patients), and take it in. When in front of patients, your goal should be to be unnoticeable unless the physician says otherwise or gives you the opportunity to do something with the patient.

Also, dress nicely: khakis and a button-up at least, but a tie would be good as well.

Avoid being an irritating dork - it's really that simple. Pay attention, be interested, ask questions (but not about every itty bitty thing and not in front of patients), and take it in. When in front of patients, your goal should be to be unnoticeable unless the physician says otherwise or gives you the opportunity to do something with the patient.

Also, dress nicely: khakis and a button-up at least, but a tie would be good as well.

And don't be late.

Members don't see this ad :)
And don't counsel patients on IFN therapy for their latent hepatitis while in the waiting room...

:(

I would love to hear the counseling points you mentioned.

Shake hands and introduce yourself even if they know who you are. Hand shakes and introductions show maturity and professional respect. Be on time, seriously, on the dot. Not early or late. Wear nice clothing, not a suit though. No sneakers or jeans. I recommend khakis, a button down shirt, a tie, and semi-dress shoes. Don't be a chattaholic but don't be too quiet either. Talking to much will get annoying but not talking enough will make you seem uninterested. If you ever get a break ask about family and lifestyle, but don't ask personal questions in front of patients or while working.

Shake hands and introduce yourself even if they know who you are. Hand shakes and introductions show maturity and professional respect. Be on time, seriously, on the dot. Not early or late. Wear nice clothing, not a suit though. No sneakers or jeans. I recommend khakis, a button down shirt, a tie, and semi-dress shoes. Don't be a chattaholic but don't be too quiet either. Talking to much will get annoying but not talking enough will make you seem uninterested. If you ever get a break ask about family and lifestyle, but don't ask personal questions in front of patients or while working.
what should girls wear for a top?

A button down shirt for females, I think it's called a blouse :confused:
Basically, nothing too revealing.

A button down shirt for females, I think it's called a blouse :confused:
Basically, nothing too revealing.

Pop those puppies out! The doctor might thank you for the extra star on healthgrades.com. The same advice goes for the gentlemen. Don't be afraid to undo a couple of buttons here and thurr.

cleavage-heaven-boobs-9.jpg

Something like that should be appropriate

Shadowing is exactly like the word sounds--be a shadow. Make sure to not be disruptive. As for manners in front of patients, the approach you take kind of depends. When I was shadowing a peds onc physician, I played with the kid a bit while he talked to the parents about meds. The doc really liked that. Again, depends on the situation though.

Sorry if this seems like a dumb topic, but I am shadowing a radiation oncologist in a few weeks and am wondering if anyone can comment on basic etiquette/unwritten rules for shadowing doctors? I've done some shadowing in the past, bu t it was very informal with Drs I had already known before, this time it is a random Dr who responded to my email inquiry, and I would really like to make a good impression. thanks

When the Dr leaves the room, leave with them. Don't be there by yourself with the patient. Awkwardness can ensue.

I think I should research my theory that the more a male talks about women's bodies, the less likely he is to come near one. SDN seems to be confirming this so far.

When the Dr leaves the room, leave with them. Don't be there by yourself with the patient. Awkwardness can ensue.

As a general rule of thumb, maybe. But I've stayed behind quite a few times to talk with patients and have learned a lot from them. They would share stories about how their physicians were 30 years ago for example -- regular house calls and all that fun stuff. I actually learned more from talking with the patients than I did from the physicians I shadowed.

theres a cool thing called the search function. Your situation and question are FAR from unique.