shadowing experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_90210

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering what amount of time for physician shadowing would be considered a good amount for top 20 schools. should they be multiple doctors? do they need to write recs?

Members don't see this ad.

dr_90210 said:
i was just wondering what amount of time for physician shadowing would be considered a good amount for top 20 schools. should they be multiple doctors? do they need to write recs?

bump... someone help please

dr_90210 said:
bump... someone help please
1,000 hours, split between one cardiac surgeon, one neurosurgeon, one NICU physician, and at least 3-5 internal med physicians. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
zachdhudson said:
1,000 hours, split between one cardiac surgeon, one neurosurgeon, one NICU physician, and at least 3-5 internal med physicians. Good luck.

should it be an even split, or should i devote more time to the cardiac surgeon and less time to the neurosurgeon?

dr_90210 said:
should it be an even split, or should i devote more time to the cardiac surgeon and less time to the neurosurgeon?

500 to the cardiac surgeon, and 500 to everyone else.

Oh, and add another 1500 hours if you're looking at top 10 schools.

dr_90210 said:

I never shadowed I am going to a top 20 next year

You should have done at LEAST one cardiothoracic procedure solo before you apply to med school. And that's just for NYMC. Don't even start with what you need for top 20.

But to be serious, shadow one or two docs for a reasonable amount of time (50-100 hours) and ask the one you get along with better for an interview. Probably no need for two letters from doctors you shadowed.

RokChalkJayhawk said:
You should have done at LEAST one cardiothoracic procedure solo before you apply to med school. And that's just for NYMC. Don't even start with what you need for top 20.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That was great!!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mshheaddoc said:
What do you guys feel is adequate shadowing time? 100 hrs? 200 hrs?
I think 0 is adequate. You need clinical experience, you do not need to shadow.

Shadowing a physician is a handy way of demonstrating that you know what the work of a physician entails. That is all. You can also gain this same experience of learning what a physician does by actually working with them, either as a volunteer or for a job.

mshheaddoc said:
Ok guys, can someone ACTUALLY be serious and ask the question?

Alright let me shed some light...I spent 60 hours shadowing a pediatrician and 20 hours shadowing a neurosurgeon...every interviewer has told me that I clearly have a good understanding of what medicine is by the amount of shadowing I have done.

My suggestion woudl be to try and do like 40-100 hours...and if you can see different specialties all the better...shows you have seen more than one aspect of medicine

Also medical schools liek to see people who have volunteered at nursing homes becuase it shows compassion, medical exposure, and often you get to have more hands on when volunteering in a nursing home (ie good for personal statement)...Also I would look into one of the premedical summer programs...they tend to like that also

These are just my thoughts but I have talked with quite a few Deans so I think it at least has some validity.

mshheaddoc said:
Ok guys, can someone ACTUALLY be serious and ask the question?

100 hours should be plenty of shadowing. Any more than that and the cost isn't worth the benefit. Meaning, after 50-100 hours of shadowing you would be better off spending your time doing other ECs to round out your application.