Shadowing felt...Awkward?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalSonata

Friendly Pre-Med, PM me!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I shadowed a doctor last week in a hospital...and quite frankly, I felt awkward and out of place. He was really nice, he explained things to me, but it just felt odd jumping up and following him around everywhere. I felt like I was in the way, I dunno. It was just odd.

I only shadowed him for 5 hours, then I went home. Should I ask to come back again or what? I emailed him a thank you note..

Members don't see this ad.

Wait to see if he responds to you and invites you back.

Everything feels awkward when you're new at it. Hopefully you learned a thing or two about what he does though, right?

Don't worry!

I shadowed a Dermatologist random days over about a months time and the first day I felt awkward and out of place. He is an awesome guy and explained everything to me, yet the first day I barely understood anything as he used a lot of Dermatology terms I was unfamiliar with. He directed me to this one website where I learned SO many terms and common illnesses. I made myself a little study guide with everything in it including pictures of various skin lesions and from the second time on I knew everything that was going on and it was a much more rewarding experience.

Do some work at home and bring it in with you if you are confused! My doctor liked that I did this and actually took some time to ask me if there was anything in my guide that I did not fully understand and he helped me out even more. It was one of the best experiences ever as the patients were also extremely welcoming and solidified my wishes to eventually work outpatient.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait to see if he responds to you and invites you back.

Everything feels awkward when you're new at it. Hopefully you learned a thing or two about what he does though, right?

Any doctor that you shadow will likely NOT be responding to a thank you note by inviting you back. You need to take the initiative and ask to shadow again, and again, and again. That is how you are going to build a relationship with them. After you have developed this relationship is when your shadowing experience will be meaningful and feel not so awkward. Give it time and it will become more familiar and thus more comfortable. Who knows, if you get along well enough you may even get a letter or recommendation.

It's always awkward the first time.

Practice makes perfect.

Just do it a couple of times more...you might start to like it!! :D
You have no idea how much not making the obvious comparison is costing me.

I think it's supposed to feel awkward the first time. It for sure isn't going to feel natural. You're not a health care professional and being in that environment as a pre-med student for the first time is going to feel a little strange. I guarantee a few more times doing it and it won't be so awkward anymore.

Last edited:
You have no idea how much not making the obvious comparison is costing me.

....XD

I did enjoy it...but I think he thought I was uninterested. I WAS interested, but like when he showed me something I'd go "Oh..cool" or something, I think I looked bored. Which I wasn't...except when he did paperwork.

Reactions: 1 user
....XD

I did enjoy it...but I think he thought I was uninterested. I WAS interested, but like when he showed me something I'd go "Oh..cool" or something, I think I looked bored. Which I wasn't...except when he did paperwork.
Make sure you tell him you were interested. Add that you didn't want to be to over the top and scare him off from letting you come back... except in professional language.

....XD

Definitely ask to come back.

maybe, keep a notepad and write down things you have questions about while he's doing paperwork. you could do research on those questions and ask him to clarify things that you didn't understand.

it would show that you were interested.

Last edited:
Any doctor that you shadow will likely NOT be responding to a thank you note by inviting you back. You need to take the initiative and ask to shadow again, and again, and again. That is how you are going to build a relationship with them. After you have developed this relationship is when your shadowing experience will be meaningful and feel not so awkward. Give it time and it will become more familiar and thus more comfortable. Who knows, if you get along well enough you may even get a letter or recommendation.
why would one assume that a doctor would not respond to an email? does getting an MD somehow elevate you into some new plane of existence? doctors are people too, and this one may actually be a decent human being and be curteous enough to invite his visitor back for more.

if he doesn't, then yes, it should be the pre-med's responsibility to ask.

Hi,

I shadowed a doctor last week in a hospital...and quite frankly, I felt awkward and out of place. He was really nice, he explained things to me, but it just felt odd jumping up and following him around everywhere. I felt like I was in the way, I dunno. It was just odd.

I only shadowed him for 5 hours, then I went home. Should I ask to come back again or what? I emailed him a thank you note..

Getting out of your comfort zone and doing things that feel awkward are a big part of this pre-med game. You will get used to it and be fine in my opinion...however at the same if this persists perhaps this doctors specialty is not for you.

Yes exactly!

why would one assume that a doctor would not respond to an email?

Personal experience from multiple doctors not responding to emails

why would one assume that a doctor would not respond to an email? does getting an MD somehow elevate you into some new plane of existence? doctors are people too, and this one may actually be a decent human being and be curteous enough to invite his visitor back for more.

You ask in the thank you note. Slip something in like "I would love to do it again." Most doctors don't want some kid following them around all the time so they're certainly not going to take the initiative and ask you. But if you take the initiative and ask them politely, they'll have a hard time saying no.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys must know some pretty unfriendly physicians.
ikr?

ignoring the first few who come to mind since i've got them wrapped around my little finger, most of the rest would reply and probably be ok with it.

It's always awkward the first time.

Practice makes perfect.

Just do it a couple of times more...you might start to like it!! :D

i dont know if you were going for the innuendo here, but with your av and all, i cant help but think you are referring to another activity here...

You guys must know some pretty unfriendly physicians.

More that they are busy but yes I do not appreciate not getting emails back...but as pre-meds we have to put up with that kind of stuff..all part of the game

This guy is actually super nice...one of the most amazing doctor's I've seen. He hugs his patients and stuff, and many patients request him (Emergency Room) when they come in. He seems to generally care, and I really liked him. I actually do like his specialty, EM is what I want to do.

Then the awkwardness was your own fault, and he definitely felt it too. Next time have a bunch of questions ready to ask him. It's not a guided tour.

i say shadow doctors in different specialities....it gets boring shadowing the same guy over and over.

All I was trying to say is do not "expect" the physician to actually ask you to come in again...it just isn't going to happen with your average (in terms of friendliness) doctor. Of course there may be those few doctors out there that actually do this but that is definitely not the norm. In my experience, I have shadowed some very friendly doctors yet I would not expect a single one to actually invite me back.

I was shadowing a cardiothoracic surgeon and one of the cardiologists in the operating room was bad mouthing the patient's parents because they couldn't have the surgery on certain days of the week which in their belief system were bad luck (they were from Mongolia).

I asked, "Wait, aren't you a christian?"

She replied, "Yeah, what's your point?"

The surgeon and I had a good laugh. :laugh:

Hi,

I remember feeling really awkward the first time I shadowed a doc. Don't worry, this feeling will go away during med school. I think it's because as a premed, you really don't know anything about medicine yet (totally not an insult). You want to be involved, but no matter how much they explain to you everything just feels weird. It's normal :)

I was shadowing a cardiothoracic surgeon and one of the cardiologists in the operating room was bad mouthing the patient's parents because they couldn't have the surgery on certain days of the week which in their belief system were bad luck (they were from Mongolia).

I asked, "Wait, aren't you a christian?"

She replied, "Yeah, what's your point?"

The surgeon and I had a good laugh. :laugh:

...I don't get it?