Shadowing Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Youngm2194

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 30-35 hours of shadowing so far (plan on applying in June). This included shadowing a general surgeon in the ER for around 7 hours, same doctor in the clinic for around 7 hours and a neurologist in the clinic for a whole day. I also got to take part in a trauma surgery course for surgical residents and shadowed bot the director of the program and one of the lead surgeons as well. This was over a two day period for around 8 hours each, and I was able to take part in lecture series as well as help assist (holding retractors etc.) with a live pig lab (surgeons created some sort of trauma while resident was in another room, had to come in and find issue/fix relatively quick).

I believe the last experience was pretty unique, but I have a full time research tech job now so I am not sure if trying to shadow more is worth it? I am interested in neurobiology (my major) and surgery so that is why I shadowed those docs. I work in a lab at a hospital and have access to cardiologists mainly...would it be worth it to try and take a few days off from work and try to shadow other specialties? And does only shadowing what I find interesting seem narrow-minded?

Members don't see this ad.

30-35 is acceptable, but on the lower side. The oft quoted minimum is 50. In general, the raw number is far less important than the experience. Frankly, it is hard to defend the argument that 4 days worth of time is adequate, but that is a different topic entirely.

What will be most beneficial to you is doing some primary care shadowing. For starters, it rounds out your experience based on what you have seen so far, but more importantly, it will give you a window into the primary care world. Even if you are not destined for it as a career path, appreciation of the basic tenants and struggles of PCPs in this country is valuable in a future physician.

Reactions: 3 users
I have 30-35 hours of shadowing so far (plan on applying in June). This included shadowing a general surgeon in the ER for around 7 hours, same doctor in the clinic for around 7 hours and a neurologist in the clinic for a whole day. I also got to take part in a trauma surgery course for surgical residents and shadowed bot the director of the program and one of the lead surgeons as well. This was over a two day period for around 8 hours each, and I was able to take part in lecture series as well as help assist (holding retractors etc.) with a live pig lab (surgeons created some sort of trauma while resident was in another room, had to come in and find issue/fix relatively quick).

I believe the last experience was pretty unique, but I have a full time research tech job now so I am not sure if trying to shadow more is worth it? I am interested in neurobiology (my major) and surgery so that is why I shadowed those docs. I work in a lab at a hospital and have access to cardiologists mainly...would it be worth it to try and take a few days off from work and try to shadow other specialties? And does only shadowing what I find interesting seem narrow-minded?

I'm in my sophomore year and I want to shadow this summer. Can I ask how you got to shadow a general surgeon in the ER? I've been contacting many free clinics and my own physicians but no luck.

I'm in my sophomore year and I want to shadow this summer. Can I ask how you got to shadow a general surgeon in the ER? I've been contacting many free clinics and my own physicians but no luck.

One of my family members works for a medical company and consults with surgeons very often so I was able to do that via connections.

Despite that, I did a summer program at one med school and my mentor was able to connect me with a neurologist who's paper I read and I was able to shadow them.

The volunteering I did allowed you do shadow doctors once you complete 100hrs. Maybe if you volunteer in a hospital see if they have a similar thing.

You could always ask doctors you've seen as a patient such as your PCP and maybe they would know surgeons etc.