Shadowing Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smoodle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello There!

So I have a bit of a unique story...

My sister has cystic fibrosis and I have basically grown up in the hospital. This year my sister received a double lung transplant and spent more hours than I can count in the hospital with her as she recovered and leading up to her transplant. On top of that, my job requires me to go to lung transplants surgeries so that I can pick up the explanted lungs for our research so i have been to 35+ surgeries this year. Due to this very stressful year and absolute understanding of what it means to be a doctor, I did not seek out much shadowing. I only have about 20 hours of actual physical shadowing. Is this enough? I didn't really think twice about this until I started reading all of these posts saying you need 100 + hours.

What do you think? Am I going to be hurt by this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello There!

So I have a bit of a unique story...

My sister has cystic fibrosis and I have basically grown up in the hospital. This year my sister received a double lung transplant and spent more hours than I can count in the hospital with her as she recovered and leading up to her transplant. On top of that, my job requires me to go to lung transplants surgeries so that I can pick up the explanted lungs for our research so i have been to 35+ surgeries this year. Due to this very stressful year and absolute understanding of what it means to be a doctor, I did not seek out much shadowing. I only have about 20 hours of actual physical shadowing. Is this enough? I didn't really think twice about this until I started reading all of these posts saying you need 100 + hours.

What do you think? Am I going to be hurt by this?

Do you understand what it is to be a physician? Can you adequately explain why you would make a good physician? Why you can handle being a physician? Why you want to be a physician?

If yes, then you're fine. If no, then you need some other kind of clinical experience to answer those questions.

So you dont think that they have a hard fast rule about the number of hours? Because I know the answers to those questions on a much deeper level than what shadowing hours would give me.

So you dont think that they have a hard fast rule about the number of hours? Because I know the answers to those questions on a much deeper level than what shadowing hours would give me.

No hard fast rules. But be very sure you can answer those questions clearly. Being the family member of a patient doesn't always fully give you the view of what a physician job entails.