Shadowing, How much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indianarn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non traditional candidate. I an RN with 3 years of experience and have been out of school for 10 years now. I know its late... aint nothing I can do about that, but I am taking MCAT on September 12th and have every intention of applying this year. I can always reapply next year if I don't get in this year (Well a lot depends on my MCAT score). GPA is 3.31 with sGPA 3.55. I have LOR from my Biology professor as of last week and my nursing school professor from 3 weeks ago. My question is that how much shadowing do I do considering that I work with docs every day. I am planning to shadow 3 doctors with different specialties for a combined of a minimum of 72 hours. Input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think 72 hrs spread over 3 different physicians--which should include a primary care doctor--is adequate. I have a little bit less than that. Some here have accumulated 100+ hours of shadowing, which is excessive IMO.

To be honest, I think the bigger concern for you in the meantime is that you are taking the MCAT (for the first time?) in September, meaning your application will be complete in October. The lateness will be a disadvantage, unless you are applying to a small state school with few applicants.

Good luck.

72 hours is more than sufficient. Make sure your app/statement demonstrates why medicine.

That said, Sept MCAT is late. Almost too late. There are many situations in which people say, "it's only a year. It's not so bad." To which I respond, "Yeah, but I only get to do this once. One year is a long time." Here's the thing: In this late MCAT, coming from related but very different position in health care scenario, I would wait. Kill your MCAT, then apply the day the application opens next year.