lorian99

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey all,

I've managed to pile up 20 hours of shadowing split between my PCP and a radiation oncologist but I'm having trouble finding other physicians to shadow. I've checked all my contacts and cold-called and cold-emailed dozens of physicians to no avail.

While I've read that ~50 hours is sufficient, I already have a shadowing experience that I plan to write about in a PS, I have ~700 hours of clinical experience, and I feel that my efforts would be better expended elsewhere. Should I continue seeking out shadowing opportunities anyway?

Thanks in advance.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Hey all,

I've managed to pile up 20 hours of shadowing split between my PCP and a radiation oncologist but I'm having trouble finding other physicians to shadow. I've checked all my contacts and cold-called and cold-emailed dozens of physicians to no avail.

While I've read that ~50 hours is sufficient, I already have a shadowing experience that I plan to write about in a PS, I have ~700 hours of clinical experience, and I feel that my efforts would be better expended elsewhere. Should I continue seeking out shadowing opportunities anyway?

Thanks in advance.
Unless your clinical job included some unofficial physician observation that you can allude to in your shadowing entry, can you add 20 more hours with your PCP? Forty hours is a minimum stated by some schools.

Reactions: Doctor-S
OP
L

lorian99

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
My job didn't include any unofficial physician observation, and I'll see about shadowing more with my PCP, though he told me that there was nothing more to see.

Do schools list shadowing requirements on their websites?

Doctor-S

Grand Rounds
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2016
Hey all,

Thanks in advance.
If you're near any medical schools with academic medical centers, look at their departmental websites, and contact some of the "teaching" physicians. The teaching physicians might allow you to shadow them.

You can contact your local medical association and ask for some other suggestions. At times, semi-retired physicians in the local community will welcome pre-med students because they might have some extra time.

You can go to your local medical center and respectfully ask some of the experienced RNs for a moment of their time (that is, if they have any spare time) to obtain potential shadowing suggestions. RNs often know which MDs are "approachable" in the hospital and who might be willing to speak with you about shadowing opportunities.

Thank you.

Sep 14, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
What if i have around ~30 hrs of shadowing but got scribe hrs. Honestly scribe is shadowing plus more. Are they picky about this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
What if i have around ~30 hrs of shadowing but got scribe hrs. Honestly scribe is shadowing plus more. Are they picky about this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
IMO scribing that isn't done remotely should be looked on as having embedded shadowing but some schools prefer a dedicated observational experience and don't agree with including listed scribing hours toward that expectation. Go figure.

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
OP can you ask the PCP to set you up with some other docs? Maybe even someone in the same practice!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
IMHO, it would also depend in what your other 700 hours of clinic experience is comprised of. For example, while you have had 20 hours of direct/formal shadowing, if you were a volunteer in an ER or clinic, that would make a difference. I always have applicants list all their healthcare experience in detail that maybe direct shadowing, employment, clinical volunteering, etc. I think the overall healthcare experience is key rather.