Shadowing in Atlanta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesca1213

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if y'all had any great experiences with a particular doctor in the Atlanta area? I was trying to find student-friendly doctors who would be willing to let me tag along maybe once/twice a week during the school year. Also, does anyone have any insight about the various hospitals and opportunities for clinical experience in Atlanta?

Members don't see this ad.

jesca1213 said:
Just wondering if y'all had any great experiences with a particular doctor in the Atlanta area? I was trying to find student-friendly doctors who would be willing to let me tag along maybe once/twice a week during the school year. Also, does anyone have any insight about the various hospitals and opportunities for clinical experience in Atlanta?

if you go to emory i know they have programs that setup shadowing experiences with various doctors...

Polodog21 said:
if you go to emory i know they have programs that setup shadowing experiences with various doctors...
its called house staff program but the school discontinued offering
this service like 2 years ago
SUCKED
i mean
HOLY **** THAT SUCKED

Members don't see this ad :)
Polodog21 said:

do they really? b/c i go to emory and i have not heard of such things

jesca1213 said:

I was in contact with some of the orthopedic surgeons at the Emory Spine Center this year. They both seemed very willing to let me come shadow (although with my summer schedule it never worked out, unfortunately) and one of them also offered to put me in touch with some of the residents at Grady Hospital downtown. I'm sure if you talked to a few of the physicians affiliated with Emory Healthcare they'd either let you shadow or put you in contact with others in the fields you're interested in.

I've been shadowing at Kennestone Hospital in Marietta (west of Atlanta). Every doctor that I've shadowed has been excellent!!! They are very willing to show you where all the cool stuff is happenening and getting other doctors to let me shadow too. I think my favorite part so far has been in the OR.

LauraPaz said:
I was in contact with some of the orthopedic surgeons at the Emory Spine Center this year. They both seemed very willing to let me come shadow (although with my summer schedule it never worked out, unfortunately) and one of them also offered to put me in touch with some of the residents at Grady Hospital downtown. I'm sure if you talked to a few of the physicians affiliated with Emory Healthcare they'd either let you shadow or put you in contact with others in the fields you're interested in.
I've heard that as a student you can do a lot more at Grady than at other hospitals. I would check them out too.

jstuds_66 said:
I've been shadowing at Kennestone Hospital in Marietta (west of Atlanta). Every doctor that I've shadowed has been excellent!!! They are very willing to show you where all the cool stuff is happenening and getting other doctors to let me shadow too. I think my favorite part so far has been in the OR.

Awww, I volunteered at Kennestone in high school! It really is a great local hospital. I remember being 16 and showing up for my first day in their pediatric ER. I walked in and the nurse there asked me "So how do you feel about blood?" When I shrugged and said I was ok with it, she pulls me into the first room and I got to help out while she and the doctor stitched up this kid's foot that had been ripped open by a dog. If they let a 16-year-old volunteer do that, imagine what they'll let you get involved in now!

So yeah, I second jstuds. If you're anywhere near Marietta, definitely look into Kennestone...or any of the WellStar hospitals, really.

jstuds_66 said:

So did you just fill out volunteer applications, call the hospital, or have special connections? The bad part about Grady and other hospital student programs is they are so competitive and often hard to become involved in unless you know someone of importance.