Shadowing in M1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Basil246

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth shadowing while an M1? I have no idea what sort of speciality I’d be interested in and would like to figure it out sooner rather than later so I can do the appropriate research. However, I worry that shadowing would not be worth the time it would take away from my studies?

Members don't see this ad.

It's fun. It helped me find out a lot of things I now know I don't want to do, which was helpful to have early on and helped me plan out the summer between M1 and M2. This, along with the potential to network and maybe find a research opportunity, is the main reason to do it. However, it's not something you should prioritize over school work or taking time off for yourself. I maybe shadowed a total of 5 or 6 times during all of 1st year.

Other people really loved shadowing and did it a lot more. It's really up to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If I already know what specialty I would like to get into, do I still need to shadow? I’ve noticed so many medical students shadow during M1. Im not sure why.

If you have no idea what specialty you want to pursue and you think you might like something you won't get exposed to later on in rotations, it is definitely worth a few afternoons here and there during preclinical years. Just don't prioritize it over studying.

How much more beneficial is shadowing as an M1 than as a premed? I never particularly got much out of it in premed, other than “yes I want to do Medicine.”

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's just a great way to see if a certain field is something you want to do in the future. Plus, I think it's a great idea to shadow a lot in competitive specialties for networking purposes. You can build good relationships with doctors in your home department that can vouch for you during the residency application season.

It's just a great way to see if a certain field is something you want to do in the future. Plus, I think it's a great idea to shadow a lot in competitive specialties for networking purposes. You can build good relationships with doctors in your home department that can vouch for you during the residency application season.

Yeah, if you have an inkling of interest is rad onc, IR, surg subspecialties, or derm then I'd suggest starting early. If nothing else, it could rule out the more competitive things for you.But what do I know? I'm in the same boat as you lol

Yeah, if you have an inkling of interest is rad onc, IR, surg subspecialties, or derm then I'd suggest starting early. If nothing else, it could rule out the more competitive things for you.But what do I know? I'm in the same boat as you lol
Yeah right now my main considerations are IM subspecialties, OBGYN, and PM&R or even family med, so I should be fine even if I decide later. I’m just worried cause my favorite shadowing experience so far has been with an ENT and if I end up trying to do that I’d rather start earlier

If I already know what specialty I would like to get into, do I still need to shadow? I’ve noticed so many medical students shadow during M1. Im not sure why.

Because they are stuck in the pre-med mindset. It's the same reason those people also join all the clubs.

How much more beneficial is shadowing as an M1 than as a premed? I never particularly got much out of it in premed, other than “yes I want to do Medicine.”

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
A lot lot lot more, at least in my experience. As a premed, you sit in the corner and don't talk. As an M1, you were offered to do things, given real advice on various parts of medical education/career. I got to scrub in and run a camera, just me and the attending, before M2 started, and I definitely got to know the attendings pretty well. It also changes things when you know you'll actually be working with the people you're shadowing.

I shadowed at least once a month for a lot of M1/M2, and it was great. Definitely made me feel more comfortable starting my first rotation, too, because I'd gotten used to the hospital environments here, and gotten my hands dirty a few times in surgery, doing ER procedures, etc.

Plus, it was interesting. M1/M2 was kind of dull. There wasn't much to DO, just check the boxes with the curriculum, but otherwise my days were really empty. I filled them with fun things like sports and going out with friends, etc., but honestly the reason I want to go into medicine is because I find it actually enjoyable to be in the hospital, so doing so was good for me and kept me motivated.

Because they are stuck in the pre-med mindset. It's the same reason those people also join all the clubs.

Come on man, no need to generalize. Some of us get something out of shadowing. Some of us enjoy the time spent, or make connections we feel we need, or find cool research by getting to know more people. Don't knock other people's preferences and paint them as somehow dumb or shortsighted for doing things differently than you.

Reactions: 7 users
A lot lot lot more, at least in my experience. As a premed, you sit in the corner and don't talk. As an M1, you were offered to do things, given real advice on various parts of medical education/career. I got to scrub in and run a camera, just me and the attending, before M2 started, and I definitely got to know the attendings pretty well. It also changes things when you know you'll actually be working with the people you're shadowing.

I shadowed at least once a month for a lot of M1/M2, and it was great. Definitely made me feel more comfortable starting my first rotation, too, because I'd gotten used to the hospital environments here, and gotten my hands dirty a few times in surgery, doing ER procedures, etc.

Plus, it was interesting. M1/M2 was kind of dull. There wasn't much to DO, just check the boxes with the curriculum, but otherwise my days were really empty. I filled them with fun things like sports and going out with friends, etc., but honestly the reason I want to go into medicine is because I find it actually enjoyable to be in the hospital, so doing so was good for me and kept me motivated.

Come on man, no need to generalize. Some of us get something out of shadowing. Some of us enjoy the time spent, or make connections we feel we need, or find cool research by getting to know more people. Don't knock other people's preferences and paint them as somehow dumb or shortsighted for doing things differently than you.
Thank you! I definitely think I’m going to try to shadow this year! How did you go about finding attendings to shadow? And we’re they fine with you only shadowing them for a day? My precious shadowing experiences have been on a more regular basis

Thank you! I definitely think I’m going to try to shadow this year! How did you go about finding attendings to shadow? And we’re they fine with you only shadowing them for a day? My precious shadowing experiences have been on a more regular basis
It's so easy as a med student, you literally just email anyone and they tell you when to show up and seem to respect that your schedule is busy.

Reactions: 4 users
Shadowing as a med student is a lot better compared to a pre-med. You are viewed differently and may actually get to do stuff (i.e hold **** in the OR, take history/physical exam of patients, etc)

Reactions: 3 users