Shadowing in Nor Cal / SF Bay Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atropos

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been out of school for a while and no longer have access to their career center, premed clubs, etc so I'm asking those of you who live in the San Francisco Bay Area if you know any docs who are willing to have premeds shadow them. I can commute to SF, or San Jose, or Martinez or where ever. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd start at (what at least used to be) the Alta Bates in Berkeley. The HMAP program at Cal has a good amount of students shadowing in the area.

I shadowed Dr. Kaplan. Crazy crazy guy who never failed on getting a question right on Millionaire. First question he asked me in the OR...

What was the name of Will Smith's cat in MIB?

Good luck.

You could get involved at the Berkeley Free Clinic. SOme of my friends got to interact with a bunch of doctors and other health professionals that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
try emailing a bunch of docs (get their email addresses from hospital websites) and explain that you're a premed and want to gain some clinical experience. You may have to email quite a few, but chances are, someone will give you a positive response. I was an officer of a premed organization at berkeley and i had to arrange shadowing opportunities for members of our organization and that's how i did it. However you end up doing it, I'd recommend arranging something through a doctor directly as opposed to going through a club or a volunteer group. My own shadowing experience was with a doctor that i had met a an admissions info session. we chatted a bit and then i asked her if she new of any shadowing programs in her specialty. She suggested that i shadow her. It was great. i got to spend time in clinic, the OR and i even spent two full nights with her in the hospital while she was on call.

i was a volunteer in the emergency room at san francisco general on and off for a few years. awesome experience, especially if you like county hospitals. there was never a night when i didn't see some type of trauma, not that that's a good thing, but you definitely learn a lot. you start out as a patient advocate, helping the staff, talking to a wide variety of patients, etc. if you log in so many hours, i believe it's 40, 50, perhaps, about one semester's worth, the volunteer center opens up more doors for you to pursue interests. one is with peds, another with their aids clinic, and another where they allow you shadow their e.r. attending docs for their entire shift. i actually believe it's a course that is offered to the ucsf ms1s and ms2s. i definitely enjoyed it a lot. walked around in the scrubs, pretty much free to experience anything, got to listen in with the group during rounds and hear the various residents present their cases to everyone, and the docs were always willing to answer any questions.

the only drawback is that you work with a wide range of doctors b/c they don't have regular shifts or anything. so if you are looking to work with just one doctor, and get a letter or something, then it's a little hard in that you have to be pretty flexible with their schedule. one day might be a 6am-2pm shift. a few days later a 10pm-6am, etc. so if you really need a letter, then it might be easier to just approach one physician.

if you need more info or what not feel free to pm me. i can try to dig up the info.

good luck