1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Shadowing non-docs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Writer1985, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Writer1985

Writer1985 Mistress of Spices
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So my mom's friend (an NP) offered to let me shadow her over the coming winter break. I don't have any clinical experience yet, aside from volunteering, so I figure this would be a good thing; however she's not a doctor, so does that really matter? I mean, I could always try calling doctors' offices in my area and try to bug them into letting me shadow, but the one place I did try (my old pediatrician's office) cited HIPAA and hung up. It's finals week and I have absolutely no time to research and call up people. So if shadowing a non-doctor is still somewhat acceptable....I mean, it's still clinical experience, no?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jbrice1639

jbrice1639 Cub Fan, Bud Man
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    it sounds like it would be a great experience!

additionally, shadowing isn't really necessary anyways. i had nothing but volunteering on my clinical experiences, and i was never questioned about why i hadn't shadowed.

4. kimmcauliffe

kimmcauliffe Surfer Chum
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Go for it! Doesn't matter if it's not a doctor. You'll still get to see patient interaction, patient care, and maybe get this gist on the paperwork. Have fun and ask a lot of questions!!

5. Scrub MD

Scrub MD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do it! Ask her if she knows anyone else you can shadow.