Shadowing non-docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Writer1985

Mistress of Spices
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my mom's friend (an NP) offered to let me shadow her over the coming winter break. I don't have any clinical experience yet, aside from volunteering, so I figure this would be a good thing; however she's not a doctor, so does that really matter? I mean, I could always try calling doctors' offices in my area and try to bug them into letting me shadow, but the one place I did try (my old pediatrician's office) cited HIPAA and hung up. It's finals week and I have absolutely no time to research and call up people. So if shadowing a non-doctor is still somewhat acceptable....I mean, it's still clinical experience, no?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

it sounds like it would be a great experience!

additionally, shadowing isn't really necessary anyways. i had nothing but volunteering on my clinical experiences, and i was never questioned about why i hadn't shadowed.

Go for it! Doesn't matter if it's not a doctor. You'll still get to see patient interaction, patient care, and maybe get this gist on the paperwork. Have fun and ask a lot of questions!!

Writer1985 said:
So my mom's friend (an NP) offered to let me shadow her over the coming winter break. I don't have any clinical experience yet, aside from volunteering, so I figure this would be a good thing; however she's not a doctor, so does that really matter? I mean, I could always try calling doctors' offices in my area and try to bug them into letting me shadow, but the one place I did try (my old pediatrician's office) cited HIPAA and hung up. It's finals week and I have absolutely no time to research and call up people. So if shadowing a non-doctor is still somewhat acceptable....I mean, it's still clinical experience, no?

Thanks!

Do it! Ask her if she knows anyone else you can shadow.