Shadowing/Observing MDs in Melbourne, Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WocoMed11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm a senior pre-med student from the States and am studying abroad in Melbourne (University of Melbourne) for Semester 2. I am here until the end of November.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I can shadow/observe a doctor while I'm here. I've talked to my study abroad advisers that are local Australians, and they seem a little confused as to what exactly I'm trying to do, so I was wondering if undergraduate shadowing is even done here?

I've had about 150 hours of clinical shadowing back home in the States, but I wanted to experience Australia's medical field first hand. I've read about their health care policies, and am interested in speaking with or observing an Australian doctor since it's always different when you hear from someone who is living it everyday.

So my questions are whether or not it is possible to observe physicians while I'm in Melbourne, and if it is possible, if anyone has any contacts that would be willing to let me observe them? Any help is appreciated as I've been reaching dead ends both on the forums and on internet searches. Thanks in advance for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen, entry into medicine in Australia is based (almost) entirely on test scores and GPA. Therefore, unlike with North America, activities such as shadowing and hospital volunteering, while nice, are not required before applying to med school. That might explain the confusion.

Good luck with your search!

It is very hard to do as a non-medical student, as there are major issues with getting permission from the hospitals, the legalities as well as big problems with patient confidentiality and consent. Many of the hospitals are also full of medical students on rotation and on elective from overseas.

You might have some luck, it is just difficult. I haven't heard of anybody managing to do it unless they have some very close personal contacts in the private health system.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Woco,

I'm an American who went to UniMelb and am interning at St. Vincent's Melbourne now. The previous posts are pretty spot-on - it can be done, but will be tough if you don't know someone personally and even more so as a pre-med. And the hospital volunteer scene here is not clinically oriented at all, but might be worth at least an inquiry.

Have you tried asking your study-abroad advisers for contacts (even if they're a bit confused by the concept)?

Happy to chat about working in Melbourne; if you want - PM me.

Thanks for all the advice, very helpful. I figured as much about shadowing now that I've been asking around for a couple days. I did ask my advisers if they had any personal contacts that I could be put in touch with, but that was also a dead end.

No worries though. I'll keep looking, but if I don't find anything, it's not the end of the world. Just thought it would be an interesting avenue to pursue while I was here, and would make an especially nice topic with interviews coming up.

Thanks again for the help!

WocoMed11,
Did you have any luck finding a shadowing experience in Melbourne? I'm currently living in Melbourne and seeking similar opportunities but finding it difficult to find anything.