shadowing opportunities in baltimore area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ravens11

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm home from school for the summer and am looking for a shadowing experience around the towson area and/or a volunteer experience (clinical). I will only be around for 2 months so I am not trying to go to a hospital seeing that by the time i finished the app, orientation, and the likes, I wouldn't start until mid-end june. Anyway, if anyone knows any good opportunities, please let me know

Members don't see this ad.

Just open up the yellow pages, find a specialty you might be interested in shadowing, and make some calls. Ask your family/friends if they know of any physicians who might not mind you shadowing them for a few days.

I'm not from the Baltimore area, but if you're looking to shadow, just call or e-mail docs in specialities that interest you. You may get a lot of docs who aren't willing, but if you ask around enough, you should be able to find atleast one doc in a few specialities who is willing to let you tag along.

Since there are about a thousand hospitals here, you'll have no problem. Start with your pediatrician and ask him/her if they have any friends in other specialties or med school classmates in the area (they will--it's Baltimore. All the doctors know each other).
Also, see if your college has any alums who practice in the area. My dad has had local students from his old school shadow him who found his name through the alumni listings.
Be polite, respectful, and interested, call or email promptly, and dress nicely. Every doctor I shadowed was excited to have a pre-med student for the day. Good luck!