Shadowing out of country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saadmboy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be out of the country this summer for two months and I was wondering if I can shadow doctors overseas. I'll be in India and I know my aunt has a clinic that goes out to the poorer parts (slums) and gives free care there. Can I include this in my future application? If so, what information should I obtain from the doctors (not my aunt, I'm assuming you can't shadow family members, my mother's sister...can you?) of the clinic?

Thanks

inb4someonereplies, I'm not replacing my shadowing here in the U.S with shadowing abroad, just supplementing it.

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing doesnt really count for much as an EC; its really more for an information gather expedition for yourself. If you can have some sort of shadow or volunteer experience that can show some real impact on your motivation, commitment, etc then it could be worth an EC. But generally most students overvalue the worth of shadowing as an EC to an adcom

I have plenty of other EC's, both relevant (e.g research and ER tech) and non-relevant (e.g internship as a software engineer at a trading firm). Thank you though.

I want to do this because I plan on writing about how my experience in India as a kid motivated me to be a doctor and this experience might just help me "prove that"

You can, but don't expect it to impress any Adcom here. What you'll be seeing is "what an Indian doctor's day is like".

Hello,

I will be out of the country this summer for two months and I was wondering if I can shadow doctors overseas. I'll be in India and I know my aunt has a clinic that goes out to the poorer parts (slums) and gives free care there. Can I include this in my future application? If so, what information should I obtain from the doctors (not my aunt, I'm assuming you can't shadow family members, my mother's sister...can you?) of the clinic?

Thanks

inb4someonereplies, I'm not replacing my shadowing here in the U.S with shadowing abroad, just supplementing it.