shadowing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megeliz

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok...i have kind of an odd question...
i have been working as a lab tech (MLT) for the past four years at a pediatric clinic. i am fairly sure that i want to go into pediatrics, but i want to kind of keep an open mind. do y'all suggest shadowing doctors in different specialties, and do you think i need to shadow any pediatricians (considering i have been working with them--and they are pretty awesome about letting me know what the job is all about)? also, do you think i will have a difficult time getting accepted to a medical school considering i am now attending a VERY small liberal arts college? We DO have a pre-med program, but we are mostly known for our teaching program and theater program. i chose my school because it is small, and i get a lot of individual attention, but now i am worried that i will apply to a med school, and they will be like, "where on earth is montevallo...i've never heard of it.."
thanks SO much for any help!
-meg

Members don't see this ad.

1. School doesnt matter too much if you have a solid GPA, and ESPECIALLY solid MCATs or other national honors.

2. Shadowing is pretty useful I think, but I doubt you would see much more than you have already seen working in a clinic. It is a useful experience nonetheless, and if you have time, go for it. The kinds of doctors that accept students to shadow are generally very kind and willing to explain things.

3. The individual attention you are getting might be a boon in terms of recommendations.

Originally posted by megeliz
ok...i have kind of an odd question...
i have been working as a lab tech (MLT) for the past four years at a pediatric clinic. i am fairly sure that i want to go into pediatrics, but i want to kind of keep an open mind. do y'all suggest shadowing doctors in different specialties, and do you think i need to shadow any pediatricians (considering i have been working with them--and they are pretty awesome about letting me know what the job is all about)? also, do you think i will have a difficult time getting accepted to a medical school considering i am now attending a VERY small liberal arts college? We DO have a pre-med program, but we are mostly known for our teaching program and theater program. i chose my school because it is small, and i get a lot of individual attention, but now i am worried that i will apply to a med school, and they will be like, "where on earth is montevallo...i've never heard of it.."
thanks SO much for any help!
-meg