Shadowing Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jryan21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am going to ask my step-dad's doctor today if he's available for shadowing. I am just not sure about what kind of questions should I ask besides if he's willing to let me shadow him. I haven't met this doctor yet but as far as I know he's pretty old (in his 60's) and he's an Indian. But my step-dad said that among all of his doctors, he is the most approachable and that's why we are going to ask him first. I've searched this forum about shadowing and found out that doctors like him might not know what shadowing is. This is my first time asking a doctor for shadowing and so I'm also not sure (in case he don't know) how to explain it to him. Also, about the schedule of shadowing, how often do you guys think should I shadow him per week? Is everyday too much or 3 times a week? Apart from shadowing, I would also be starting to volunteer in a hospital this summer. Those two are the only two things I will be doing this summer unless I found a job. So what kind of schedule do you think is the most "doable"?

I really really need help in here. Advance thanks to all who will reply!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I always tell the doctors that I am willing to work with their schedule. I shadow a plastic surgeon any time he is does surgery at a specific hospital. For a neurologist, I shadowed 6 hours a week for 6 weeks. In the summer I tell them, if they would rather me be there every day for a week, that's ok too. My thoughts are, they are letting me do this so they can allow me to be there as much or as little as they like.

Usually the doctor is the one who tells you what the schedule is. Just let him know you're open for whatever is convenient/works for him. You can throw around a couple ideas like the poster above me mentioned. Different docs probably prefer different things. A week of intensive shadowing (8-9 hours a day) is just as good as a semester of light shadowing.