shadowing surgeon but no surgeries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidlee97

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i shadow d a surgeon but she never did surgery!!!! but did rounds only b/c there was *simply no sugery the week i was shadowing*. however, i shadowed her 4 about 10 hrs as she checked up with her pts n spent time w/ her fellow surgeons looking at x rays n stuff. plz give me some insight on dis! I'm wondering if those hours count!!! 1 2 3! thnx yall.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the consensus is that time not in the OR is the more valuable shadowing experience because they are interacting with patients.

Reactions: 2 users
1. If troll, mediocre effort.
2. If not troll, I can't imagine that you would begin to shadow surgeries within your first week. Try to spend more time shadowing the surgeon and perhaps you will eventually get to have time in the OR. For now take advantage of the physician-to-patient dynamic, and learn from it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not usually one to care about grammar or spelling, I mean I make plenty of mistakes and typos so how can I judge... But this post, man... o_O

Anyway, I don't see why it wouldn't count. You watched a doctor interact with patients.

Reactions: 1 users
O rlly? Tht sux!! Tell her u wnt 2 c a surgry!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
O rly? Tht sux!! Tell her u wnt 2 c a surgry!!!

FTFY

orly_owl.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
1. If troll, mediocre effort.
2. If not troll, I can't imagine that you would begin to shadow surgeries within your first week. Try to spend more time shadowing the surgeon and perhaps you will eventually get to have time in the OR. For now take advantage of the physician-to-patient dynamic, and learn from it.
hi. thnx 4 ur input. Would just like 2 say this is not a troll post. i have shadowed surgeons of diff specialty and have bean to OR "within the first week" or even the day. but specifically for dis specialty, i did not get 2... Not bc she didnt trust me but bc there simply was no surgery scheduled when i waz a shadow and so was wonderjng if adcoms would look down on me claiming that i shadowed a surgeon but had no OR time!! thnx

O rlly? Tht sux!! Tell her u wnt 2 c a surgry!!!

im not necessary complaneing bout no surgery but rater if no sugary was looked down upon. thnx 4 ur suggestion tho!

I'm not usually one to care about grammar or spelling, I mean I make plenty of mistakes and typos so how can I judge... But this post, man... o_O

Anyway, I don't see why it wouldn't count. You watched a doctor interact with patients.
sorry... thnx 4 ur input

I think the consensus is that time not in the OR is the more valuable shadowing experience because they are interacting with patients.
wow!! thnx 4 ur input!