shadowing too late if i plan to apply this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoBad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have yet to shadow a doctor, although I have been exposed to the clinic environment for much of my life (not as a patient but as an observer), along with hospital interactions as a volunteer with the doctors, but I have yet to get any shadowing done that I can put on the amcas. I plan to apply this year, would it be a bad sign that I got shadowing experience starting from now? I'm worried that they'll misinterpret it as a sign that I didn't even bother finding out what the life of a doc is like until I'm about to apply since I can't really put the other experiences on the amcas as shadowing.(yes, I worry a lot :laugh:)

On another note, for clinical experience, what exactly counts? In the hospital I was assigned to helping the people at the desk, but I always used free time to talk to patients (staff was ok with this), and with doctors and hear them discussing problems. Is this considered clinical?

Members don't see this ad.

I have yet to shadow a doctor, although I have been exposed to the clinic environment for much of my life (not as a patient but as an observer), along with hospital interactions as a volunteer with the doctors, but I have yet to get any shadowing done that I can put on the amcas. I plan to apply this year, would it be a bad sign that I got shadowing experience starting from now? I'm worried that they'll misinterpret it as a sign that I didn't even bother finding out what the life of a doc is like until I'm about to apply since I can't really put the other experiences on the amcas as shadowing.(yes, I worry a lot :laugh:)

i shadowed for the first time around this time last year, applied for 2010-2011 cycle, and have several acceptances. so i'd guess it's not a dealbreaker, assuming the rest of your application looks good.

On another note, for clinical experience, what exactly counts? In the hospital I was assigned to helping the people at the desk, but I always used free time to talk to patients (staff was ok with this), and with doctors and hear them discussing problems. Is this considered clinical?

It's a clinical setting but not the strongest experience. It's still something to talk about. One of my first clinical internships was at a county hospital and it was just like transporting lab specimens or discharging patients etc. but I did learn from it and it was significant to me because it was one of my first times dealing with patients and getting "a feel" for a hospital setting. Plus it was county so it was pretty graphic. Got to see a birth in the lobby one night.

Talk about the things you did learn from the experience or maybe what you realized you wanted to see more of...

Members don't see this ad :)
1) I have yet to shadow a doctor, . . . . would it be a bad sign that I got shadowing experience starting from now?

2) I was assigned to helping the people at the desk, but I always used free time to talk to patients (staff was ok with this), and with doctors and hear them discussing problems. Is this considered clinical?
1) Shadowing is one of the few activities that can be done at the last minute without a problem. You can start a weekly gig or do a lot of hours over spring break. Average hours to aim for are about 50. Try to get 2-3 docs to follow of which at least one is primary care (maybe the first physician will suggest others who would be open to your presence). If your frequent exposure to medicine from past years had an impact on your decision to go into medicine, then mention it in your PS.

2) Yes, this is clinical experience as you were directly interacting with sick people in a medical environment.

1) Shadowing is one of the few activities that can be done at the last minute without a problem. You can start a weekly gig or do a lot of hours over spring break. Average hours to aim for are about 50. Try to get 2-3 docs to follow of which at least one is primary care (maybe the first physician will suggest others who would be open to your presence). If your frequent exposure to medicine from past years had an impact on your decision to go into medicine, then mention it in your PS.

2) Yes, this is clinical experience as you were directly interacting with sick people in a medical environment.

I am registered for the July 16th MCAT, can I do my shadowing right after taking the mcat, while I wait for my score?

I am registered for the July 16th MCAT, can I do my shadowing right after taking the mcat, while I wait for my score?
While you wait for your score, you should have already submitted your application so it can be verified (at least to one school). But if you are going to wait to submit until you know your score, then yes, shadowing during that month would be fine.