shadowing/volunteering while on crutches?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caffeineaholic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on applying this upcoming cycle and recently had the misfortune of sustaining an injury that will require the use of crutches for the next few months. My clinical experience was on the low side (~80 hrs of hospital volunteering) so I had shadowing opportunities and more volunteering set up for the rest of the semester. Since my injury, those plans have stopped being as feasible since I have a hard time just going to class on crutches. As my injury heals, I should be getting better and faster at using my crutches. Do you think I'd be able to resume volunteering/pursue shadowing even if i'm still on crutches? If not, are there any other suggestions on ways to gain clinical experience while being relatively immobile?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be possible to at least do some observational shadowing. I wouldn't try to do anything that would have you on your feet for 8 hours a day, but if you're adept on the crutches, you could try to get into an office and follow a doc while they see patients. All you'd have to do is stand there and watch.

You'd just have to find a doc that would let you and one that would understand that you'd be on crutches. Check around.