Shadowing what kind of medical professional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stayathomemom

Now with 100% more Stay At Home™!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides MDs, I know I can shadow DOs. But does shadowing NPs, PAs, or NDs count? Any other acronyms? (I tried to search the forums, but I couldn't find an answer.)

While we're here, I'll ask a few more: how many hours are appropriate to ask for from a doctor you aren't already acquainted with? Can a doctor you've shadowed under write a LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadow MDs or DOs only

Don't ask for a specific number of hours to shadow for, that's weird. Ask to shadow for like one day per week for a month or something like that, then count up the number of hours that you ended up shadowing. In terms of med school admissions, it's not very important how many hours you shadow, its much more important how you present what you gleaned from your shadowing. You should be able to make an argument that you have seen the day to day life of a doctor and that's something you'd be interested in doing for the rest of your professional life. Some people can demonstrate this with fewer shadowing hours, some people may need more - also may depend on the quality of the shadowing hours. Many people will shadow for between 40 and 80 hours to be able to cogently express this. Some people only shadow for 20, some people shadow for over 100. A person who shadows for 150 hours isn't going to have any sort of leg up on someone who shadowed 50 hours if they can both convey the same idea to admissions committees (via interviews, personal statement, etc).

Letters of recommendation from doctors you've shadowed are worthless except in 2 situations. The first and most common is if you are applying to a DO school, in which case you'll need a rec from a DO. The second which is much less common is if you are applying to one of the 4 or so MD schools that requires a physician letter of rec (I don't know which these are, do a search and you'll find them). In any other scenario, a physician LOR will be worthless because there is no character quality they can really say about you other than "was attentive, present, and asked questions at appropriate times" - this, while 'positive' is a weak letter and will almost certainly be weaker than any other letter you get (from a professor, from a research mentor, from a volunteer coordinator, etc). Thus, presenting a shadowing letter may imply that you were unable to acquire a stronger letter, which does not shed a positive light on your application.

Reactions: 3 users
Shadow MDs or DOs only

Don't ask for a specific number of hours to shadow for, that's weird. Ask to shadow for like one day per week for a month or something like that, then count up the number of hours that you ended up shadowing. In terms of med school admissions, it's not very important how many hours you shadow, its much more important how you present what you gleaned from your shadowing. You should be able to make an argument that you have seen the day to day life of a doctor and that's something you'd be interested in doing for the rest of your professional life. Some people can demonstrate this with fewer shadowing hours, some people may need more - also may depend on the quality of the shadowing hours. Many people will shadow for between 40 and 80 hours to be able to cogently express this. Some people only shadow for 20, some people shadow for over 100. A person who shadows for 150 hours isn't going to have any sort of leg up on someone who shadowed 50 hours if they can both convey the same idea to admissions committees (via interviews, personal statement, etc).

Letters of recommendation from doctors you've shadowed are worthless except in 2 situations. The first and most common is if you are applying to a DO school, in which case you'll need a rec from a DO. The second which is much less common is if you are applying to one of the 4 or so MD schools that requires a physician letter of rec (I don't know which these are, do a search and you'll find them). In any other scenario, a physician LOR will be worthless because there is no character quality they can really say about you other than "was attentive, present, and asked questions at appropriate times" - this, while 'positive' is a weak letter and will almost certainly be weaker than any other letter you get (from a professor, from a research mentor, from a volunteer coordinator, etc). Thus, presenting a shadowing letter may imply that you were unable to acquire a stronger letter, which does not shed a positive light on your application.
Thank you for your extensive reply. I appreciate the advice!

Besides MDs, I know I can shadow DOs. But does shadowing NPs, PAs, or NDs count? Any other acronyms? (I tried to search the forums, but I couldn't find an answer.)

While we're here, I'll ask a few more: how many hours are appropriate to ask for from a doctor you aren't already acquainted with? Can a doctor you've shadowed under write a LOR?
If you want to be a doctor, shadow doctors. Period.

It is a very good idea to have the LOR come from a doctor for DO schools. Not a requirement for MD, and in tsskity, most doctor's LORs are fluff.

50 hrs total shadowing time should suffice.

Reactions: 1 users
You may be asked why medicine rather than another health profession. Having shadowed other professionals and having a specific answer for "why medicine" is useful.

The majority of medical school applicants do not get admitted to medical school. Shadowing other professionals may help you discern alternative careers. In addition to MD, DO, PA, Nurse Practioner (sometimes called APN: advanced practice nurse -- not to be confused with a Naturopathic Practitioner), you might shadow a dentist, optometrist, and/ or podiatrist. Go for one work day for each of these allied professions.

LORs from people you have shadowed are not valuable except for having a DO letter if you apply to DO schools.

Reactions: 3 users
I spent some time rotating with nurses and techs at an imaging center. It was a good experience and I learned a bit about different career options and imaging. A lot of nurses were really helpful in explaining how to read an ultrasound and what they are looking for.

Maybe it doesn't look as good on an application as time spent shadowing doctors, but my experience shadowing nurses, PAs, and tech was worthwhile.

Shadow doctors if you want to be a doctor.

Shadow a variety of specialties, including at least a couple of primary care doctors. Many state med schools have a mission to educate future primary care doctors, so IMHO in can be a negative if you only shadow non-primary-care.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello fellas, first post here!

I am trying to write some email to throw at some doctors for shadowing purposes.

Some of my family members gave me their email address but these doctors dont know me personally.

Do you think it is a good idea to write them explaining our common network?

Thanks.

PD: Posted a new threads, but got the post moved.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't go crazy on shadowing hours --- 40-50 should be plenty. Doing 200 hrs. of shadowing is not going to make any difference. It should be fairly easy to find a doc to shadow --- small town docs might be ecstatic that someone is interested in medicine since they rarely get a student or resident rotating thru their office. If you have a local ER that teaches med students/residents then it should be easy to set something up there.

If you plan on applying to DO schools, then obviously you need at least one DO to shadow and write you a LOR. Again, if it's a DO who's part-time or full-time faculty member of a med school then your chances are very good to shadow him/her.

I guess you could shadow a NP or PA but only if every doctor you asked turned you down first. In which case, you need to ask why you got turned down by all of them?

Do NOT shadow an ND or DC --- it will make you wanna run away from healthcare like a cheetah on steroids :eek:

Last edited: