1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

"Shadowing" While In Dental School...Beneficial?

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by VilleDent, May 16, 2008.

1. VilleDent

VilleDent Hate Teeth? Visit KY!
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    So I've got one externship lined up this summer and still have about 2 more weeks to fill. Would my time be better spent following around my OMFS for numerous hours or spending it wisely in some other area?

I know it would be good to continue to network and stay involved, but when it comes to a residency program, do they really care if I watched my doctor extract thousands of 3rd molars?

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 54807

54807 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    2 WHOLE WEEKS?!?!

Call up some programs nearby. See if you can get a 1 weeker.

It is fun hanging out with the private practice guys though....all relaxed and have forgotten how terrible their residency was...

But what will you gain from them? Likely nothing because most private practice folks don't do much more than what goes on at your dental school.

OR, just relax....and chill with the assistants and OS for a few hours a day. Nothing wrong with that! Just realize you aren't going to get any CV-quality benefits.

4. Yahtzee

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Good call on SaxyDucky's part. If you've got two solid weeks and want to do OMFS see if you can get an externship in an academic setting.