Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Shadowing

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrChandy, Apr 30, 2004.

1. DrChandy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Does anybody have any advice on what steps I may need to take in order to shadow a physician?

2. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

Step 1: Get out the phone book, look up Physicians.
    Step 2: Find a nearby physician in the specialty you are interested. If you know a particular physician, that's a bonus.
    Step 3: Contact the OFFICE MANAGER of the physician in question, tell them you're a pre-med who would love the opportunity to shadow Dr. X.
    Step 4: Whatever the office manager tells you, do it. They'll take it from there.

That's it.

3. DrChandy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks, useurheadfred

4. NubianPrincess

NubianPrincess Perpetually Bored
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm glad someone posted this. That approach really has NOT worked for me. I usually get the run around. Has anyone successfully found a doctor to shadow in the NYC area?

5. marydee

marydee Member
    7+ Year Member

If you don't have connections to shadow a doctor, then volunteer in some area of the hospital or medical center. In order to make connections you probably need to exihibit your maturity and your responsibility. You will eventually make connections with some nurses or other personel in the hospital or medical center and they may be able to steer you in the right directions for opportunities that may come your way for shadowing.

6. NubianPrincess

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

Do hints just not work? :laugh: I can be in the hospital and ask a doctor "so, do you know anyone willing to be shadowed?"

No luck yet :D But i'm keeping at it :oops:

7. Yobot

Yobot A Jordan Head
    5+ Year Member

I find this is usually the case as well. Connections and networking with administrators or those working in the hospitals is the way to go. Made the opportunity to shadow a physician 10x easier.

8. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

Hmm... I'm from a rural community where all the Physicians know each other. I suppose that makes it a little bit easier to get shadowing experience.

Have you tried your own family doctor?

9. NubianPrincess

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just got new health insurance, so I don't even know my doctor yet.

10. masalachica

masalachica Member
    7+ Year Member

Find out if your school has some kind of program that sets students up with a doctor to shadow. If not, maybe you could ask your school's pre-med adviser for suggestions. Good luck!

11. JunkintheTrunk

JunkintheTrunk Blondes are smrt
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    my family doc let me shadow her, i just asked in the middle of my yearly "examination" and she was totally cool with it, so i got to see the d.o. side of things. my aunt asked her pediatrician if i could shadow her, and she was cool with it too, so i shadowed her 2 days. i also had a job with the cardiac surgery association in chicago in the billing office, but i got to know a few of the docs pretty well, and worked with/shadowed one all january. i even got to watch him do an open heart...lots of fun :scared: :D maybe i just got lucky, but i think you have to get yourself out there and use the people you know to get your foot in the door.

12. tae1703

tae1703 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    just follow a doctor around all day without him actually noticing you. if he sees u a couple of times just say "oh what a coincidence" or " hahaha u again" lol. bring spy equip

13. AlternateSome1

AlternateSome1 Burnt Out
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you take this approach, make sure you map out all available exits and the ventilation system. You will need to be able to make a quick exit when the security staff starts to chase you.

14. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    "Hows my uterus look? By the way, can I shadow you? Do you mind warming up the speculum and maybe using a smaller one next time?"

15. MNgrrl

MNgrrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Another suggestion if you are in college still is to check out the career center/alumni office and see if either has a list of alumni who are willing to be shadowed/contacted etc.