cotinara

10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
Status
Dentist
What exactly should happen when you shadow a doc? I recently went and shadowed in a health clinic. I thought they were going to be very strict about me seeing or doing things but they basically told me go around to each room and see what the doctors were doing. Now, is that normal? I mean, it was kinda weird. :confused:

Thanks

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
strict about what? HIPAA doesn't really affect you while you're shadowing - you just can't talk about names and stuff later.

DrYo12

Y-bomb
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
unfathomably much loved
Status
Resident [Any Field]
When you're shadowing, just watch what the doctors are doing. See how they talk to patients. See what types of things they are taking note of. Ask questions if you want to know more. Ask them about their day to day life in the clinic or their regular practice. See if you think you can see yourself doing some of the things the doc is doing. Shadowing is about being the doctor's 'shadow'. You follow them around, help out whenever possible, and stick with them as long as you can.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Try to see as much as you can, do as much as permissible, and ask lots of questions. You get out of shadowing what you put into it. It can be such an amazing and life-altering experience...it can truly convey to you if this is the right career path for you. Despite people's dreams, it is not for everyone and some specialties aren't what people think it is. Make the most of your time, and not only will it reveal to you what being a doctor is all about, it might also tell you a lot about yourself. All the best....

g3pro

Dr. Mogley
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2003
Status
DrYo12 said:
When you're shadowing, just watch what the doctors are doing. See how they talk to patients. See what types of things they are taking note of. Ask questions if you want to know more. Ask them about their day to day life in the clinic or their regular practice. See if you think you can see yourself doing some of the things the doc is doing. Shadowing is about being the doctor's 'shadow'. You follow them around, help out whenever possible, and stick with them as long as you can.
+++++

Definitely. Also, shadowing is about seeing medicine in the long term, for several weeks. Follow patients around, check their progress in their charts, discuss the information with the physician you are shadowing. If at all possible, get in on auscultations and physical exams (this is easiest to do if there are medical students on rotations). I'm not going to name names at all, but seeing patients on a daily basis and tracking their progress was the most rewarding part of my 2 month long shadowing experience. Try to get in on that. :thumbup:

Make the experience whatever you want it to be. Early on, I was uncomfortable with following the physician into exams and everything because I did not consider myself part of the physician team. Once I got over that, I slowly came into the role of the physician, specifically the resident or fellow. It took maybe a week for me to get used to it.

Have fun.