Shadowing

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by q1108, May 8, 2008.

1. q1108

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys im a pre-med student and here pretty soon I will be shadowing a CT surgeon. What are some good questions to ask and some ways I won't be in the way?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kubed

Kubed Mostly Harmless

Resident [Any Field]
    Impossible. As a premed/med student, it's impossible to not be in the way. Just relax, ask questions you actually have and not questions that you think make you sound smart, and ask before you do anything/touch anything. Be upfront about asking for a letter of rec and try to have fun. Good luck!

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Things not to say:

1) "Hey I hear the PA makes only $10K/year less than you do and doesn't have to take call. How do you feel about that?"

2) "I saw your wife yesterday. She looked pretty cozy with the pool boy. Third wife, right?"

3) "I hear that anybody with a pulse can get into CT these days. Is that true when you applied?"

4) I'm thinking about going into Cardiology because I heard CTS is dead and Cards can do anything you can do."

5. razor411

Resident [Any Field]
    also:

are you getting paid less than your PA?
    are you going to practise general or vascular surgery soon?

6. jubb

jubb Tern

Resident [Any Field]
    Dress nice, slacks and a button up collared shirt, maybe even a tie. The surgeon is going to have to make his patients feel comfortable with you around, and dressing professional will make them more comfortable. Most likely you'll be standing with the anesthesiologist if you go to the Operating Room. You can ask him all the dumb questions you want, he'll be pretty bored. I think paying attention and being interested are probably the best things you can do.

7. :laugh:

Agree to read up a little each night (for the next day's cases, if at all possible, though you may not understand a lot of the terminology). Ask questions to show you're interested and curious at an appropriate time (i.e. not when the room is tense because the patient's not doing well).