Shady stories about people getting accepted through questionable means

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016
Anyone have any juicy stories? I'm just curious.

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
They are probably out there but I doubt many people actually the beneficiary of the acceptance would share their story. Friends of friends might though.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: eteshoe

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
There was a very juicy story out of Florida about 8 years ago. Politically connected applicant was admitted to a state school over the objections of the adcom. (He applied after the deadline, hadn't taken the MCAT, etc) Dean of the med school sent some damning late night emails and ended up stepping down as Dean and later leaving the university. (He was taking orders from higher up the food chain.) Applicant's dad ended up going to prison for financial improprieties involving political fundraising.

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
Now that's a good story. Do you know what happened to the Dean after he left the school?

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Anyone have any juicy stories? I'm just curious.
Yeah I heard about this guy who got into HMS because he scored like 529 on the MCAT and had a 4.01 GPA. It sounded pretty shady to me, but I was later told by a few SDNers that those stats are "pretty average." Who knows ;)

Reactions: eteshoe
OP
NimbleNavigator

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016
Yeah I heard about this guy who got into HMS because he scored like 529 on the MCAT and had a 4.01 GPA. It sounded pretty shady to me, but I was later told by a few SDNers that those stats are "pretty average." Who knows ;)
Too real

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I personally interviewed a candidate who was as dumb as a stump, ranked him accordingly, but he was accepted over the Adcom's objections because his uncle was going to be a donor to a unit in our university's system. Said candidate did manage to graduate, but barely.

They are probably out there but I doubt many people actually the beneficiary of the acceptance would share their story. Friends of friends might though.

Reactions: Crayola227